Sign in to follow this  
d1gital

Removing the Mach 1 medallion?

You remove it in an upward motion. Basically, the medallion has 2 gutters and to put it on, you slide it downwards on 2 little metal studs that are welded on the body. Now mine were stuck with thick adhesive that you first have to cut using some type of wire. Dental floss works well, to avoid damaging the paint, for example.

G

Removing the medallion is easy just push up. Removing the mounting studs the repair and repaint might make the whole thing pointless ? Brian

Again, Brian is spot on with this. In the course of restoring my brothers 69 Mach I, we replaced both quarters (among other things) with new full quarters. The new repo quarters make no provision for the studs/tabs on the quarter panel to accept the medallion. My Brother insisted he wants the new medallions on his car but knowing how they go back on was heavily concerned about messing up his paint. Therefore, we simply made a template to locate 2 holes which we drilled through (before painting) to the inside. He fitted the new medallions with button head cap screws which fit snug in the slots on the medallion. a little dum-dum will be placed on the base of the screw to act as a seal when installed. Nylock hex nuts from inside will secure the medallions with the screws to the quarter before the head liner is installed.

If you put them back on, make sure they are facing the correct way. I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that the horse is supposed to face forward.

The previous owner of my car put mine on facing the rear and its on my to do list to switch them. Hoping its 2EZ.