Sign in to follow this  
d1gital

1968 tail lights on a 1969

Saw the tail lights on the anvil mustang.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1106_1969_ford_mustang/photo_02.html

Did some research and saw some other custom mustangs with 67-68 tail lights on a 69 car.

Anyone attempt this? Im very much considering doing this but wanted to see if anyone had insight into the most effective way to do this

Edited by d1gital

I think you have to swap the tail panel, as the curve in it is different.

yeah, im guessing im going to just have to grind it down to fit. I wonder if the gas cap and tail light fixtures will fit after that.

D1gital, check out this thread on custom flush mount tail light lens on a 69 a member THE EVIL TWIN did early last year. They are the size of a 69 tail light but flush like a 67/68 tail light.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=13090&highlight=flush+tail+light+lens

Still haven't seen mine complete, but it's getting there. The car is still at the body shop getting stuff done. Here's how it sits, the tail light panel still has to be painted black.

tmp_20140217_173227471077429_zpscc9e3e21.jpg

Still haven't seen mine complete, but it's getting there. The car is still at the body shop getting stuff done. Here's how it sits, the tail light panel still has to be painted black.

tmp_20140217_173227471077429_zpscc9e3e21.jpg

That's a very nice mod. One of those subtle changes that looks like it was supposed to be that way from the factory.

Here's a 69 with 68 taillight panel

what was your process? did you cut the 68 tail light holes and weld them onto the 69 tail light panel? Or did you reshape the entire 68 panel to fit? if so, how challenging is that? did you have to redo the gas filler pipe? any other body mods have to be done to accommodate? thank you!

what was your process? did you cut the 68 tail light holes and weld them onto the 69 tail light panel? Or did you reshape the entire 68 panel to fit? if so, how challenging is that? did you have to redo the gas filler pipe? any other body mods have to be done to accommodate? thank you!

Sorry guy, I did not do this modification. Its just some picture of a 69 I found that had a 68 taillight panel

Sorry guy, I did not do this modification. Its just some picture of a 69 I found that had a 68 taillight panel

no worries. i looked them up. found the builders of that car. ill let you know what i find