Sign in to follow this  
RobotMan

120 VAC Spot Welder

I have a few spot welds that are impossible to reach with MIG welder. Has anyone had any luck with the portable 2 probe hand held spot welders like the ones at harbor freight. I could possibly reach the spots with one of those. Not sure how good they work. Thanks in advance for your help.

http://t.harborfreight.com/welding/spot-welders/115-volt-spot-welder-45689.html#.UxXEE5K9KSM

They work absolutely great ! I've used one on 3 different cars now and still works great. I'm surprised more people have not used them.

The one thing you will want to do to minimize tripping a breaker switch in your garage is to use a heavier gauge extension cord. The key to a good spot weld is "pressure", you will want to squeeze the two parts together as tightly as possible. You also want to make sure the material is clean before welding. Keep your tips clean with a file.

One last thing, the beast can get heavy after handling for a few welds. Builds your forearms !

The spot welders are awesome, but I can't figure out your comment about you can't fit a mig but you think you can fit a spot welder?

I have the miller version and love it. I have been spot welding these cars back together for a while now but I have the opposite problem. I use the spot welder everywhere I can and use the mig where I have to.

I find that the tips are too small on those spot welders. I have trimmed my tips big time so they make a bigger more factory like spot. Catch is you have to spot weld a little longer to build the heat. So actually I think it works better that way

Bob

I am currently installing a 1 pc cowl assy. I have removed the side cowls and cannot get the MIG welder into the area to weld the lower cowl to the side vent panels. However, I believe the tongs of a spot welder can reach in there and hopefully get the job done.