Sign in to follow this  
d1gital

Replacing the instrument cluster

does classical instruments make an instrument cluster for my 69? My clusters are faded and the lighting dim. Figure I could swap out for something easier to see and more high-performance. any other modern swap options? Not looking to go digital, though.

Edited by d1gital

You could replace your lenses and lightbulb covers? It would probably brighten up a little while keeping your original cluster. Sliding in some white faces helps as well, for a slightly modified look. And all this for a very reasonable budget.

Just my 2 cents based on my personal experience.

G

image_zpsae1e6791.jpg

image_zps489fcbee.jpg

image_zps265380cd.jpg

image_zps73480be3.jpg

image_zpsfceb34a0.jpg

To answer your original question, There are several companies that make complete replacement clusters. If I were to go this route, I would most likely prefer the Vintage USA set up as it is very similar to the original appearance. http://www.cjponyparts.com/new-vintage-usa-gauges-black-1969-series-electronic-speedometer-complete-kit-1969-1970/p/IBK692P/

You can restore yours easily. As for brightening them up, LED lights will make huge difference. I recommend the 5X set by HiPo Parts garage using their original "Factory Color" set in blue/green. Looks perfect and probably what the panel looked like when it was new. Below is a pic of Buckeyes panel. I bought same kit that he did and looks great to me.

http://www.hipoparts.com/1965-73-ford-mustang-led-gauge-light-conversion-kit/

IMG_2359.jpg

Edited by miketyler

Ditto on the Dakota Digital setup. Nice having the tach integrated with the rest of instruments. The Dakota setup comes self contained (lens and gauge) so install into panel is EZ. The wiring, although not difficult, is a pain -- but a pain well worth it.

P.S. - Don't let the Dakota Digital name fool you --- they make a set of analog looking gauges. Which is what I went went.

Edited by MustangGT

Nothing is more original or up to date than the dash from Mustangs to Fear! Not only can they install pretty much any guage you want, but they can make the gauge cluster material so that it matches the material in the deluxe door panels as well as the space above the glove box and the dash. These materials can be carbon fiber, wood grain, brushed aluminum, I think they have 10 or 12 different looks you can choose from. I chose all carbon fiber for my car. You can see more pictures of it on this website under "69 coyote build". Give rich a call at Mustangs to fear or check out their website at Mustangstofear.com.

Steve.[ATTACH]16479[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16480[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16481[/ATTACH]

Here are some pictures of the matching door panels and other pieces. Even my overhead console had a carbon fiber insert although it's very hard to see the photos. Floor console also had carbon fiber inserts that are kind of hard to see in the photo as well.

You could replace your lenses and lightbulb covers? It would probably brighten up a little while keeping your original cluster. Sliding in some white faces helps as well, for a slightly modified look. And all this for a very reasonable budget.

Just my 2 cents based on my personal experience.

G

image_zpsae1e6791.jpg

image_zps489fcbee.jpg

image_zps265380cd.jpg

image_zps73480be3.jpg

image_zpsfceb34a0.jpg

Thats beautiful! where did you get the white face stickers?