Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

Spot weld cutter - Rotabroach

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are different size spotwelds on the 69? Specifically are all body panels the same size weld? I'm going to hang a rear quarter and possibly floorpan and I'm looking for the size cutter to buy. Also, is Rotabraoch the best cutter to go with? It seems like it to me, but then again I've never done this part before.

Thanks,

D.

3/8 will get most everything. I have used all other types but I like the Blair 11094 best of all of them, especially of you are cutting heavy metal such as the frail rails. Make sure you get a deep center punch or drill a small starter so the cutter does not try to drift, drift WILL break teeth:

both-premium-spotweld-new.jpg

Save your money and just grind up some old twist drill bits in what ever size you want.

Grind the end of the drill bit flat and then grind a little bit of back rake on each side and leave a little dimple protruding in the middle. I've use them and they work great.

I don't like using the spot weld cutters anymore

There is always the chance you are going gut into the metal you want to keep, spot welds of different sizes, and deformed spot welds.

I use a 3/8 round carbide bur on a die grinder. I grind off the top of the spot weld moving the ball around a bit.

I also use the edge of a 4.5" grinder on the spot welds. When the metal gets thin there is a blue ring that shows up in the metal around the spot weld. Then it's thin enough to break the metal free.

Grind the base material flat and you are ready to go

Bob

The blair as well as the harbor freight have an adjustable stop so you can not drill to far. Frankly I find it a pain & have done enough I can do it by eye/feel.

I do what DocWok suggested. It helps that I have friends who work in a machine shop. We have the tool room guy grind the tips almost flat... and when they get dull, we send them back to have him sharpen them.