Sign in to follow this  
puzzledeagle

Instructions on how to do a 1969 Coupe to Fastback conversion?

I am very interested in converting a 1969 Mustang coupe to a fastback using this kit here, but there is very little info out there on how to actually do it and what should be cut away from the coupe. All I've really found is this Hotrod magazine article on a conversion which has some good pictures but not much detail. Are there any instructions out there on what to do, and what to cut out exactly on the coupe? I'd like to get started before the kit arrives when I order it.

I've never done a conversion but one of the biggest obstacles was obtaining all of the brackets to support the new roof section since these were not being sold by suppliers and therefor you had to get them from a donar vehicle. If the "kit" you are getting has these then you should be good as to getting it back together and being structurally sound. For pictures of how to approach it you might check out You Tube, I thought I saw a segment on doing a '66 coupe to fastback conversion.

I'm Doing one right now. And can answer any questions you might have.

99% of the parts are avalible now. It's cool as hell to do it, But not for the faint at heart. Nor is it Cheap.

I went from this.

100_0633_zpsee626f65.jpg

TO this

100_0680_zpsf4f55e6d.jpg

She's in 2k primer almost ready for paint now

100_0962_zps0e6347d7.jpg

You might contact the folks at the link below to same yourself time, frustration & $. This is assuming they offer other years besides the 65/66. It never hurts to ask.

I am def. a do it yourself kind of gy but the more time I spend in the garage & the older I get these other other options sure are appetizing.

http://www.thoroughbredgt.com/

Very Carefully!

All kidding aside and this is only my opinion and I am sure there are many ways to look at this. I would ask the question of myself. Do I have the skills needed to pull this off. It is a huge undertaking and I agree with what other before me have written not for the faint of heart.

For myself I would look for a solid fastback. They are out there and they are a bit more than a coupe yet at the end of the day consider the cost associated with obtaining all of the parts and the hours it will take to complete the transformation.

I wish you all of the best. The end result in my opinion would be awesome if done correctly.

Best on your project and I look forward to seeing more on your transformation.

My question is multi faceted. 1) How does this affect the value of car when done? 2) How much do you value your time? 3) Would it be better to start with a project mach1 or fastback? ( the project fastbacks are out there, I picked up a 69scode mach for 4k with tons of drag parts but stripped interior). I think if look at it more closely, it will be better to work on a car that is a fastback. It's final value will be much greater. Some people will not even touch a converted car b/c they are worried it was done wrong and the re-sale value after done. I think the only way I would do it is if I knew I was going to keep it until I died. No matter what, good luck.

Snookman35, love your attitude. Every time you get in your finished car you will enjoy it more than what it was before and you bettered your construction skills in the process.

Edited by Cruzzar

Here's an oldie but a goodie.

I thought of that how to video also, until I looked at the conversion parts he linked. His kit has all the parts separate which entails a whole different build.

Bob