Sign in to follow this  
rchappelear

New Vintage USA Gauge Installation

So I purchased the NVU gauge kit for the 69 mustang and was disappointed in the lack of directions and installation hardware.

I wanted to share with everyone on here what i ended up doing to install the gauges to the instrument bezel.

Needed:

#2 Phillips head screw driver

Nipper / cutters

#6 sheet metal screws 1" long 4ea

#6 sheet metal screws 1 1/4" long 2ea

Factory instrument screws or 1/2" #6 sheet metal screws 2ea

#6 washers 8ea

Nylon spacers (other material is fine, just easy to cut the nylon to size)

NVU supplied kit

instrument bezel

gauge spacers

gauge lenses

Edited by rchappelear

this is the first thing i did, does not mean you can do other steps first.

-Take the instrument gauge and tach, slide onto the supplied NVU plate.

-on the reverse side slide retainer cups over brass studs

-install washer, lock washer then brass nut

-hand tighten only.

over tightening can cause distortion in the retaining cup and possibly affect the operation of the gauges.

Need to keep these hand tight so you can visually align the gauge later in the installation process.

I installed the Spedo and Tach assembly first.

Lay the bezel so the back side is facing up

install the lens through the location pins

install the gauge spacer (factory original spacer)

Install the speed/tach assembly face down, with the top tabs aligning with the top holes and the bottom outer holes inline with the bezel holes.

don't worry that these holes do not touch the assembly, that is what the nylon spacers are for.

-Screw in the factory original screws (#6 1/2") w/washer at the top holes of the assembly (do not over tighten leave some slack)

-Press down, gently, on the bottom portion of assembly to measure out your space between assembly and bezel screw holes.

-cut your nylon spacer to your measurement

-take a #6 1 1/4" screw, washer and modified nylon spacer, screw in the bottom outer bezel screw holes.

-now tighten down each screw with equal pressure to align assembly properly with your bezel.

The side gauges are next.

This requires modification to your stock Gauge spacers.

Their is two flat alignment tabs that are going to be cut so the new gauges will fit flush to the spacers.

I took nibblers or cutters to cut these tabs off. You may need to take a file afterwards to make more flush.

-slide on your lens onto the alignment bosses on the bezel

-install your modified factory gauge spacer

-align your NVU gauge assembly on the spacer.

-measure out the gap between the assembly and the bezel screw hole.

-cut your nylon spacer to size.

-Take your #6 1" screw, washer and nylon spacer and screw the assembly onto the bezel (leave some slack)

-Repeat the last step on the opposite bezel screw hole.

-Align the gauge to the bezel, then tighten screws with equal pressure to retain desired gauge alignment.

Rotate assembled bezel w/gauges

Place hand on one of the gauge mounting cups, rotate the mounting cup till the gauge is in the desired position. The tighten down the #8 32 Brass nuts... I really only used my hands, i did not want to distort the Plastic cup with the torque a wrench would apply.

*this is how i assembled my gauges, i am not sure if this is how the factory wanted these installed, but again no real clean installation instructions, photos, or mounting hardware.

I hope this aids you in your assembly and please be careful with the unit, their is a lot of expensive part here!!!

Rotate assembled bezel w/gauges

Place hand on one of the gauge mounting cups, rotate the mounting cup till the gauge is in the desired position. The tighten down the #8 32 Brass nuts... I really only used my hands, i did not want to distort the Plastic cup with the torque a wrench would apply.

*this is how i assembled my gauges, i am not sure if this is how the factory wanted these installed, but again no real clean installation instructions, photos, or mounting hardware.

I hope this aids you in your assembly and please be careful with the unit, their is a lot of expensive part here!!!

this is just beautiful I like it. I like the fact that it looks natural and it incorporates all the gauges unlike the OEM.

"Do they provide you with good directions on the wiring?"

but again no real clean installation instructions, photos, or mounting hardware.

Nice! Which model/part number kit did you get? I like the smaller double gauges and especially the 140 speedo with 8k tach. So many companies have a 10k tach with matching 140 speedo.

Why is this the first time I've heard about this company? I went to their site and read about them. Sounds like a good company.

Bob

Edited by RPM

I have them in my 70 and I am pretty happy with the final result apart from 3 things.

1, The installation and mounting procedure could be better. Mounting system was not very effective and i needed to manufacture spacers to fit under the srews.

I ran into clearance issues with the vent behind the right hand guage as my car had A/C and the centre vent. Modified the pipe to suit.

2, The guages are not that easy to see during the day due to reflection/glare on the lenses. The indicators halo effect is not visible at all during the day.

3, My car runs 190-200 most of the time which is approx 3/4 on the scale, I would have been happier if 200 was the middle of the scale so at first glance it didnt appear to be running too hot.

The End product looks nice, what is the price of this kit and how hard will it be to wire them up. Do they supply you with good directions on the wiring

I bought it from CJ Pony Parts their are other suppliers out there though. Just do a search on New Vintage USA

the cj pony part number is

New Vintage USA: 67408-01

and runs around $770 currently

They have another gauge set up but is around $1200

The wiring directions are much much better than the installation instructions, plus it comes with all the compatible sensors (oil, tranny, water temp sending units) A+ on this part.

D- on the installation instructions

yeah i can see the glare/halo being an issue, will be a better gauge once in the car.

Also the supplied instructions say to not use the factory lenses, probably due to this .... just looks cleaner with the factory lenses

I removed the factory lenses when I installed the new gauges

I got these same guages and was very unhappy with the lack of installation instructions and hardware. One thing I do remember is that the metal enclosure that holds the old guages has 2 anchor points on it and you lose those when you use thier setup. I cut holes in the metal enclosure so it would fit over the tach and speedo and was able to keep those two anchor points. I also had to trim down the studs on the two smaller guages because they were hitting the dash braces.

All in all I do not like the glare on them but love the guages. It was a total pain in the butt to install and make it fit.

Bob RPM , come over if you want to see them . They are still in the boxes , haven't made time to do the conversion yet.

Hmm...I must be asleep at the wheel again. Just saw this post and that you're in Bako too. You bet, I'll come over. Call or text me @ 380-5964.

Bob

I am also very disappointed in the directions and fit of these gauges! The directions are terrible, the fit is terrible, I had to saw away parts of the metal dash for their ridiculous backing rings to fit. The left gauge sits right on the dash mounting bracket and makes the unit sit too high and there's no real way for me to move any of it, I could just cut a big hole in the bracket itself, the support bracket.

Can ANYONE tell me how to wire this stupid thing?? There's several different wiring directions and they ALL suck!

If anyone can help me with the wiring I sure would appreciate it.