Sign in to follow this  
Lindy

69 Mustang 351w Pulley

69 Mustang 351w, PS and ALT, I am looking to put a nice pulley system on the front of my motor, Currently I have absolutely nothing and would like your recommendations. I have no clue what year the motor block is, Ford said they did not recognize this casting number 77AY-6015-AA.

I need to purchase a water pump, alternator, PS pump, radiator and fuel pump, my engine did not come with any of these parts when I got it, it did have a 4 bolt harmonic balancer on it, which I have replaced with a new Trick Flow Balancer (TFS-19006), it came with shims for the pulley. My question is which pulley system should I buy, and which parts would fit/work best, seeing that I have to buy all these parts why not put the best match rather than year correct. I am also planning on getting bigger alternator to run my amps and getting a radiator with an electric fan, wonder if I should go with a driver or passenger side water pump I have been reading this changes the pulley alignment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lindy, well well, I haVE already done this on my 69 351w and am now doing the same to a 289. (DS WATER PUMP EXIT). FWIW. I used the March pullies on the 351w but am using the CVF pullies on the 289. Dont forget that if you change the WP to DS exit. The radiator will need to change with it. So once I got the WP and 4bolt balancer installed. Note: 3 bolt for PS WP exit and a 4 bolt for a DS WP exit. Then you measure the setback between the face of the WP and the CS. Then you have the info you need to supply to the mfr of the pullies. I found both to be of great quality. Also, make sure you know of all the options you will be putting on it. IE:AC, PS

Also, the timing pointer will need to change from the DS to the PS.

Lindy, well well, I haVE already done this on my 69 351w and am now doing the same to a 289. (DS WATER PUMP EXIT). FWIW. I used the March pullies on the 351w but am using the CVF pullies on the 289. Dont forget that if you change the WP to DS exit. The radiator will need to change with it. So once I got the WP and 4bolt balancer installed. Note: 3 bolt for PS WP exit and a 4 bolt for a DS WP exit. Then you measure the setback between the face of the WP and the CS. Then you have the info you need to supply to the mfr of the pullies. I found both to be of great quality. Also, make sure you know of all the options you will be putting on it. IE:AC, PS

Also, the timing pointer will need to change from the DS to the PS.

"Note: 3 bolt for PS WP exit and a 4 bolt for a DS WP exit." Can you expand on this? I bought a '69 block because it was a '69 block. I sent it in for rebuild and noticed later that it had a 4 bolt dampener and the water pump outlet on the driver side. I believe the engine was pulled from a '69 Torino.

I changed the water pump to passenger side. Can I just swap in a 3 bolt Balancer without other considerations?? I'd rather not harm this engine after the money invested into it...

I went through this with mine. I was told by a local Mustang parts and restoration shop my 3 bolt crank damper, and passenger side water pump exit was an early 1969 351W setup. I was told in 1969 the change was made to 4 bolt dampers and drivers side water pump exit. So, apparently there are early 1969 and late 1969 setups for a 351W.

"Note: 3 bolt for PS WP exit and a 4 bolt for a DS WP exit." Can you expand on this? I bought a '69 block because it was a '69 block. I sent it in for rebuild and noticed later that it had a 4 bolt dampener and the water pump outlet on the driver side. I believe the engine was pulled from a '69 Torino.

I changed the water pump to passenger side. Can I just swap in a 3 bolt Balancer without other considerations?? I'd rather not harm this engine after the money invested into it...

Not sure what you mean by harm. A little background info I guess is needed. My cars radiator originally had the inlet and outlet tubes above each other, which some say the water would not pass through the cooling tubes. This would make the engines run higher operating temps. Ford must have noticed this also and from what I understand changed it in 1970. Not sure about the early/late 69 motors. All 69s that I have seen have them above each other.

This made perfect sense to me and I decided to buy the aluminum radiator with staggered inlet & outlets. I then used the 1970 water pump and then realized I needed to move the timing pointer. Then came figuring out the pullies. I used March on my 69 Mach but used CVF on my 289 Cougar. These pulley folks know exactly what this setup is about.

I have a substantial amount of clams in my motor also and am in Texas where summer temps are just plain old mean sometimes. I also used (2) electric fans pulling a total of 2700cfm/minute and have no problems with temperature.

Hope this helps.

Well, the company that built my engine is Competition Automotive

http://www.competitionautomotive.com/en/

They balanced the turning assembly so I was hesitant to mess with it. However, I have learned a bit more about harmonic balancers due to this experience and I now know that I can remove the 4 bolt and install a 3 bolt with no concern. The pulleys for the car will get sorted out once I have the balancer in place. I was able to buy the correct balancer for next to nothing. This story is not over...