Sign in to follow this  
det0326

Mustang question

Some of you that know about late model mustangs, I know someone that wants $1500 for a 1995 5.0 GT mustang with 5 speed tranny . What I was thinking is maybe putting the motor and tranny in my 69 mustang. This 5 speed being original to the car is it the TKO or are there different ones.

Thanks

The transmission is the T5. Not as strong as a tko but adequate if you are not going to build a monster engine. The only issue is that the 94 and 95 length is a little different from the 93 and before. If I remember right it moves the position of the shifter back an inch or two. You cannot use with your old bellhousing either. 93 and before you can. You will have the bellhousing from the swap so that should not be a problem. I have seen some people say swap cannot be done but I have read that it can be some. Issue may be if you have a counsel. It may have to be moved back some. I'm sure someone that did this swap will chime in. I am doing a zrated t5 from 93 so should not be a problem. WOnt be doing for a while b/c I am restoring the car but have done a ton of reading. Good luck.

The transmission is the T5. Not as strong as a tko but adequate if you are not going to build a monster engine. The only issue is that the 94 and 95 length is a little different from the 93 and before. If I remember right it moves the position of the shifter back an inch or two. You cannot use with your old bellhousing either. 93 and before you can. You will have the bellhousing from the swap so that should not be a problem. I have seen some people say swap cannot be done but I have read that it can be some. Issue may be if you have a counsel. It may have to be moved back some. I'm sure someone that did this swap will chime in. I am doing a zrated t5 from 93 so should not be a problem. WOnt be doing for a while b/c I am restoring the car but have done a ton of reading. Good luck.

Is the T5 the one that the tranny tunnel has to be cut to get proper drive line angle or is that the TKO?

I can personally attest that the swap can be done. I have the 5.0 and T-5 from a 94 GT in my 69 currently. I have removed the EFI crap and will go carbed. From talking with others, the bent elbow on the EFI intake clears the shock tower nicely (better than a Fox 5.0 swap). You will still probably have to relocate the battery since the air intake tube needs to go somewhere....

About the only thing I've heard that doesn't fit is the A/C compressor. With the 94/95 brackets, the compressor (located on the lower driver's side) hits the base of the shock tower. The same is probably true for the smog pump (lower passenger's side), but I don't know anyone who opted to keep that. I have all the accessories removed at the moment.

As for the set back on the shifter, with the Ron Morris adjustable engine mounts, I have the engine pushed back a bit (an inch or so) and the shifter fits perfectly. Without the push back, it would still clear the shifter hole better than a Fox T-5.

And, the T-5 fits the tunnel just fine. No cutting or hassles. It isn't much wider than the toploader I replaced. You will need a T-5 crossmember. You will most likely need to use a 69 tranmission mount (C4, C6, toploader -- they were all the same) as the 94/95 T-5 mount is about 1.5" taller and the bolt pattern is more narrow.

The only real issue I foresee is the clutch linkage. There isn't a kit available to use a 94/95 T-5 with the z-bar. Cable clutches on a classic look out of place (most I've seen have the cable routed to the front of the engine and back again). I am going to be using a self-made hydraulic clutch setup (which should cost about $100 with off-the-shelf parts and a couple of home-made brackets).

Hope this helps.

Chuck

Thanks guys for the replies.

Yes $1500 is an exceptionally good deal. Heres the kicker it belonged to a friend of mine that always bashed fords. He purchased this car himself at a good deal to drive temporarily until he gets his Camaro fixed (blown engine bottom end) but yet he bashes Fords, go figure. Well long story short the 95 Mustang was running bad and he said he should of known better than

to buy a Ford. So I fixed it for him $50 bucks for a throttle valve position

sensor and it runs like a champ. He said it had more power than his Camaro 350 L1 and there is no way he would sell it now. This leaves me without a motor and tranny but we just won a Ford guy today.:clap:

Too bad about the parts car. It would have been a good deal. T5 the tunnel may need tunnel cut depending where you read it but not much. The TKO will need much more of cut. TKO lot stronger but not necessary unless you are cranking up the HP. Keep your eyes open and you will find another. good luck