Sign in to follow this  
jholmes217

Funny find in the ashtray!

I had a funny find while working on my Mach 1 over Thanksgiving weekend. My car is a 1969 Q code Mach 1. The Q code means non-ram air, so it doesn't have the shaker hood sticking out of a hole in the hood. My car also doesn't have the Cobra Jet script on the hood scoop, just the rectangular 428 emblems. So, someone would have to get pretty close to tell this is a Cobra Jet car and not a 390 or 351 car.

Anyways, I was told by the guy I bought the car from that previous owners were serious street racers. Imagine my surprise when I found a set of rectangular 351 emblems in the ashtray! Evidently, one of the previous owners would take the 428 emblems off and put 351 emblems on and go trolling for suckers to street race him.

I'm not knocking 351 Windsor engines mind you. These days with stroker kits and aluminum heads, a 351 Windsor can be built to more cubic inches than a 428 and much more powerful. But back in the 60's and 70's, the 351 was not considered a performance engine. Most X brand drivers back then would jump at the chance to race a 351 powered car for money thinking they would have a sure win.

I never thought a Mach 1 could be considered a sleeper, but in this case, maybe I was wrong! I'll bet there would have been some pissed off people if they found out they were suckered into racing a 428 Cobra Jet instead of a small block!