Sign in to follow this  
juit

anyone did the Reinforcement Plates for Crossmember MOD or bought the reinforced part

That gusset is part of a Shelby mod to the crossmember. It also includes a hole for the lower control arm mounting bolt.

I believe the stock crossmember is a poor design at best. In order to lower my motor I built a cross member with only two bends, is made from 1-1/2" chromo, and actually looks like it belongs.

If I could post a pic I would, link to my photo bucket.

http://s782.photobucket.com/user/robertpmcdougal/media/IMG_20130907_120039_zpsdbd22d14.jpg.html?sort=3&o=33

Bob

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was rather easy to fab. I had seen the mounting style in racing applications before and thought it would look and work better than the stock crushed tube end. I'm no engineer, but I think a tube with two bends is stronger than a tube with four bends. I bought some thick fender style washers that had a 3/8" hole which I put a 1/2" taper into the match the mounting bolt. I then welded the washer to the angle cut short verticle tube. I bolted those two pieces to the frame rails and fit the cross piece. I tracked it into position, and finish welded it off the car. I later welded verticle brackets to the top of the cross tube which bolt to the lower control arm mounting bolt.

Bob

Edited by RPM

Nice fab work RPM.

I notice the picture Juit posted (WCC) has the reinforcement plate but doesn't have the slotted hole to tie the crossmember to the lower shock tower/LCA like what is shown in the Boss302 manual. It is my opinion that if you were to go through the effort in making a crossmember, that you would tie the LCA to the crossmember.

Thanks Buck!

I just checked them out - didnt know they were available. But $257 - yikes!! Low production quantity so I guess you gotta pay. Not sure I like the design of that one too - round stock going into plates. I like the one on this thread.

there is an aftermarket heavy duty crossmember currently available (it also ties in to the lower control arm adjusters).

Mine is similar to the aftermarket version except it uses square tube instead of round. I find it easier as a jacking point to have a flat surface rather than round. It also distributes the weight from the jack pad better and minimizes damage to the tube. Mine ties into the LCA, and I've done all the hard work (drawings) for everyone.

Thanks Buck!

I just checked them out - didnt know they were available. But $257 - yikes!! Low production quantity so I guess you gotta pay. Not sure I like the design of that one too - round stock going into plates. I like the one on this thread.

NPD Part# 5026-2C is $200.

Buening, your is a NICE unit - I looked at the drawing, but I cant weld....lol. So I have to go retail.

Buck, That's a better price and it seems different that CJ's - I like it better. Unless its just a different view of the same thing. - edit: nope I just looked again, I do like NPD's better.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread from the OP but I may have to pick one of these up for the winter project list. I need to do the Shelby drop too so might as well do them both at once then get it re-aligned.

Edited by jwscarab

Nice fab work RPM.

I notice the picture Juit posted (WCC) has the reinforcement plate but doesn't have the slotted hole to tie the crossmember to the lower shock tower/LCA like what is shown in the Boss302 manual. It is my opinion that if you were to go through the effort in making a crossmember, that you would tie the LCA to the crossmember.

Thanks buening. I eliminated the eccentric adjusters and offset the bolt hole so that I have two positions for the lca bolt 3/4" apart. The problem trying to use the tie in plate on the cross member is the LCA bolt can be anywhere in the circle pattern of the eccentric. I have an adjustable LCA so my LCA bolt will stay in one position, and have only one bolt hole in the x member plate.

Bob

I would think there would be a market for these! Especially if it were thick enough to safely jack the car up with.

Hmm... after I showed my brother my cross member he said I should market them.

Bob

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? We don't need no stinking benders. OK, no more movie lines. No, I don't have a bender. I do have a race car fab shop in town however. I drew up the cross member plans full size and had them bend (23°) some 1-1/2" 4130. At my old job owned by my ex they had a real nice $230k bender. Such is life.

Bob

If you're planning on getting the NPD unit, be aware the the stock eccentrics will only align with the lca in the full in and out positions if you use a longer bolt and tie into the support plate.

Bob

If you're planning on getting the NPD unit, be aware the the stock eccentrics will only align with the lca in the full in and out positions if you use a longer bolt and tie into the support plate.

Bob

have you tried to use the crossmember that NPD sells?

have you tried to use the crossmember that NPD sells?

No I haven't, but I do like it's design. I think you'd need several eccentric exterminator plates made to adjust the lower arm correctly if the tie in plate is used. Obviously the tie in plate doesn't need to be used, but I think they are reflected in the $200 price. So might as well use them.

Bob

No I haven't, but I do like it's design. I think you'd need several eccentric exterminator plates made to adjust the lower arm correctly if the tie in plate is used. Obviously the tie in plate doesn't need to be used, but I think they are reflected in the $200 price. So might as well use them.

Bob

I installed one on mine. It comes with another set of eccentrics (basically has a longer bolt). I did my own alignment and don't recall having any issues installing or adjusting the lower control arms. Maybe I just got lucky for once.

IMG_3021.jpg

Hmm... when I called NPD they said the hardware was a bolt. I didn't even think about it being an eccentric bolt. Glad it worked for you, it sure looks good under there!

I totally screwed up on my earlier post about the eccentric bolt path. Doh!

Bob