Sign in to follow this  
SWPruett

Carpet Kits - Cut Pile Available?

Hello everyone and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I am starting to settle some of the details on my interior and really think I would like a carpet kit in a more modern, cut-pile version.

Does anyone out there have any experience with or sources for a 70 Fastback carpet kit in cut-pile?

Also, as standard carpet kits go, who is the "king-of-the-hill" these days in terms of quality and fit?

Thanks!

ACC from what I hear is a good brand, but you don't want to order direct from the ACC site. I have found that they are more expensive on their site than if you shop through distributors.

Here's a Torino with the "modern" style carpet in it from ACC. The 80/20 loop is the factory style carpet, the modern is the nylon cut.

Big-Secz is right, ACC is sold through out most all of the mustang parts vendors. I wont say they are the only game in town but its pretty much all you find.

Don't expect it to fit like a glove without some work. Like anything else, it takes some work to get it trimmed and fitted properly but the end result will look just like the factory if you do it correctly.

Good thread.

I would like to take it one step further, I want the super plush carpet. The kind guys use in high end hot rods that has the sewn edges. If you look at any of Boyd's cars or any of Chip Fooses, that kind of plush carpet. I am not a fan of cheap feeling carpet.

The finish that Big Secz showed is definitely along the lines of what I have in mind. But I agree with Flash69, a bit more on the "plush" side might even be something I'd be interested in as well.

Any particular ACC distributor recommendations that are better than others when dealing with "one-off" requests like this?

The type of carpet you see in the "high-end" hot rods is typically custom. You're not going to get the bound edges in a kit unless you get the "sewn together" style kits. These kits are not molded but down come with bound edges.

If you go to ACC's site there is a drop down menu for custom material and lists: Loop, Cutpile, Nylon and Essex as options. Perhaps you can request for them to send you samples. Cutpile is closest to the modern style carpet. Essex is their "super plush" carpet. Below is a description of Essex from their FAQ and sounds like it may be more of what you are looking for.

Here's a video that provides some more info:

Edited by Big Secz