Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Grant Steering Wheel horn question

I installed a Grant Steering Wheel #457 today. The original that I took off was from a different car installed by the PO, the horn never worked.

On the Grant, the copper back of the hub makes contact with the 2 horn buttons on the steering column, the opposite side of the hub has 2 wires that connect to a horn button. Now that its all back together, the horn does not work.

Since the horn didn't work prior to the new steering wheel I don't know what part of the horn is not working.

Where do I start?

Start with the fuse. If the fuse if okay, put a tester on the wires at the horn and see if they are getting any juice to the horns when the button is pushed. If yes, then replace the horns. If no, use the tester to check to see if you are getting juice to the horn contacts behind the horn button.

Edited by Big Secz

I installed a Grant Steering Wheel #457 today. The original that I took off was from a different car installed by the PO, the horn never worked.

On the Grant, the copper back of the hub makes contact with the 2 horn buttons on the steering column, the opposite side of the hub has 2 wires that connect to a horn button. Now that its all back together, the horn does not work.

Since the horn didn't work prior to the new steering wheel I don't know what part of the horn is not working.

Where do I start?

Ditto on all BigSecz said and if all that is good you may want to check the connector at the firewall where the horn circuit comes through, I have seen the connector pin to be burned and not making good connection.

Also if you look at the diagram that you posted about your gas sending unit you will see the horn circuit all the way up to the directional signal connector this will help you troubleshoot the problem.

Just checked out the wire diagram, which doesn't make sense to me. It seems that the wire is unidentified, it travels to the junction block, then to the steering column.

Would it be the same color wire leaving the horn?

When looking at the fuse panel diagram, there is NO fuse for the horn. Whats up!

Horn power comes from the headlight switch (only fused in 71-73). Horn power in is typically yellow; power out is blue/yellow.

I had a '70 and my horn quit working as well as my hazard lights. The issue was a blown fuse. Replaced it and everything worked again.

I had a '70 and my horn quit working as well as my hazard lights. The issue was a blown fuse. Replaced it and everything worked again.

Right you are, my bad. The changeover to fused horns for Mustangs was 1970. However, the original poster's car is a 69.

Right you are, my bad. The changeover to fused horns for Mustangs was 1970. However, the original poster's car is a 69.

I know '70 was kind of a bastard year so it doesn't surprise me that it's different, wasn't sure if it was the same for '69. Was just posting suggestions based on personal experience from my '70. Good to know for future reference though.