Sign in to follow this  
gruffy

whats missing on 69 dash??

I adapted one from a standard dash. I had to drill new holes in the light assembly because it is longer then the one for the wood grain panel.

I did the same on my car back in the 80's.

Since my car is a Deluxe Coupe and not a Grande' it did not come (and could not come from the factory) with the woodgrain dash, just everything else "Deluxe-Woodgrain" which looked weird. I also wanted a Tach cluster, and these were much more common in woodgrain so when I found one in excellent condition with the complete dash wiring harness I jumped on it. Decent WG clock bezels were easy to find back then, but the "MUSTANG" emblem was near impossible ... when I finally found one, I paid way more ($50 IIRC) than what the repo goes for today !!

Anyway, I just took a piece of 1/8" aluminum sheeting and made an adapter. The std. map light screws into my aluminum adapter and there are two screw holes that line up with the woodgrain dash mounting holes. A rectangular cut-out in my adapter matches the light cut-out opening in the deluxe dash, so there in no indicator that it is there unless you look up into the opening.

I've come across the deluxe map light a few times since (have at least one in my collection of parts now), but they all would have required some refurbishing to match the "like-new" condition of my original one so I've never messed with it.

The "std. dash map light" is probably more rare than the deluxe one as I would guess the Convenience Group option was more common on the higher end cars with the WG dash so it is probably good that I chose to make an "adapter" rather than modifying the light to fit.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me