Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

How do you stop the front from twisting?

Something to consider when removing coils from the springs is that the spring rate will increase, maybe more than you want. The formula is:

S = (D1^4 * 12000000) / (8 * C + .5) * D2^3

where D1 = coil wire diameter

D2 = coil diamater

C = number of coils

S = stiffness in psi

Something to consider when removing coils from the springs is that the spring rate will increase, maybe more than you want. The formula is:

D2 = coil diamater

C = number of coils

S = stiffness in psi

Ouch my brain hurts now :pinch:

Ouch my brain hurts now :pinch:

D2 = coil diamater

C = number of coils

S = stiffness in psi

OMG .... speak or translate that .... I forgot all those equations almost 30 years ago

Sorry about the brain hurt :biggrin: but I probably should round out things by showing the formula for half elliptic leaf springs. That would be:

S = 1E7 * (L * W * T)^3 / LL^3

Where S = spring rate in psi

L = number of leaves

W = leaf width

T = leaf thickness

LL = leaf length

Just basic physics. Pay no attention to anyone who tells you there are online tools to do the calcs.:clown:

A general rule of thumb for cutting front springs is measure how much drop you want, then remove the spring and cut half that distance from the height of the spring e.g if you want to lower it 2" then when the spring is out mark it where it is 1" lower than its overall length and cut it there.

Remember too much heat when cutting will ruin your spring, so don't use the oxy torch. Use a "All Hard" 18 tpi hacksaw blade or take it very easy with a cut off disc.

Sorry about the brain hurt :biggrin: but I probably should round out things by showing the formula for half elliptic leaf springs. That would be:

S = 1E7 * (L * W * T)^3 / LL^3

Where S = spring rate in psi

L = number of leaves

W = leaf width

T = leaf thickness

LL = leaf length

Just basic physics. Pay no attention to anyone who tells you there are online tools to do the calcs.:clown:

? Are you kidding me? We're gear heads, not engineers! Jk, never knew there was a formula for it. But then again I was a criminology major, not a math major. Thanks.

Bob