Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Deluxe Map Light questions.

I'm converting my interior to the deluxe style and trying to install the Map Light. I found on my wiring, the green & black plug in and tested the same for pwr & ground. The map light has the same plug in, but there is another single black on the map light (I think it's a ground wire).

When I plug in the map light w/ the green and black wires the light only comes on one way on the 3 way switch. If I leave the green & black wires attached and take the map light single black wire and ground it then the light comes on both sides of the switches. Is that how its suppose to be? Shouldn't the light turn on when switched to one side and if switched to the other it should light dimmer. I got the new map light with a single filament, shouldn't it be 2 filaments.

I think I'm missing something here. Maybe the single black wire is for something else and maybe the switch operates something else besides the light.

I don't know, please set me right!!!

The map light comes on either by sliding the switch on manually, or when in the other position is activated by the glove box switch. The glove box switch supply's ground to the bulb when the door is open. I think it may have a single bullet connector?

Edited by miketyler

I have the Sports Decor Group option and I added the deluxe interior gauge & door panels. I would assume that if it didn't come with a map light that it would of had the small light in the glove box but it didn't.

Now, my question is, with the Deluxe interior and Map Light was there a another glove box light or did the Map Light serve as the glove box light as well. That would mean, that the little glove box wire as seen in the above post activated the map light as well.

Map light served as the glove box light. That switch that I showed above actuates the map light when the glove box is opened, and somewhat shines into the glove box.

Keep in mind the 69 cars are easy to add the map light to the existing harness, but from what I recall the 70 cars had a completely separate Convenience Group harness in which the map light plugged in. That harness is very rare from my experience. I was able to plug my map light into my clock harness but it required wiring modifications since the map light has a male/female plug and the clock harness has a female/female plug.

"Map light served as the glove box light. That switch that I showed above actuates the map light when the glove box is opened, and somewhat shines into the glove box. " Yes, this what I figured. I picked up the 69 clock harness on eBay if I every decide to get a clock. Right now I have the woodgrain clock delete panel. I plugged the map light into the factory harness and it works well.

After your confirmation today, I need to plug in the black single wire to the glove box wire.

Thank you all for your time and help!

Not that it really matters, but I'm 99% sure the woodgrain clock delete panel was not available in 1969 ... only '70.

Std. 1969 black dash with convenience group could be had with or w/o clock though, so at least ways the harness will allow you to do what your doing w/o modifying.

Doug

Doug