Sign in to follow this  
Stock 87

svo 5 speed behind a small block?

First post:ohmy:

I am parts gathering for a fastback that I have recently acquired. (Can I call it that or do I have to call it a sport roof?)

Does anyone know if a 2.3 svo 5speed is the same as a 302 t5? I found one local for $200 and don't want to buy it unless I can use it for my build.

I'm also a Ford/mustang newbie, not new to automobile restoration/modification but I'll be learning mustangs as well as documenting my build when the time comes. I have a ton of questions about my car but will save them for another time.

It's an "F" code auto. I think someone tried to make it a Mach 1 clone in the late 80's. Again I have no idea what should be there and what shouldn't.

And I know everyone loves pictures. Strait from the river, ok, it's not from the river. It sat un-disturbed under some trees for 25 years.

IMG_20131001_153821_238_zpsc01dacb2.jpg

Sorry about the scatter brained post. I just have a lot of questions bouncing in my head that need to be answered.

but is doable that guy did it and looks awesome

That guy used the four banger. I wanted to know the SVO trans would work behind a 302.

Btw, I read all 27 pages of his build. Turned out pretty wild, unreliable but different.

It will not fit a small block ford motor.. different bellhousing and input shaft..you need one for a V-8...

Thanks!

Will a t5 hold up to 375/400 hp? I want to build a street car for hammering the corners. Not looking for any hard launches just wicked acceleration out of the turns.

I'm going to do a full rotisserie. Not going to be anywhere close to stock when I'm done though, just doing it so I can access the entire car for upgrades and rust repair. I'm to old to be crawling around under cars getting shit in my eyes. As far as tightening up the body. I saw a guy do frame connectors that mimicked the original rails. They looked factory installed. Maybe do a tasteful cage too, that will also stiffen her up.

I'm still looking into my options for front and rear suspension. Coil overs with a rack in the front. Four link in the rear are the plan for now. I still need to do more research and in doing so that may change.

Sofar the only two things that are set in stone... It will have three pedals and it will be black. Everything else is still up in the air. I would like to put forced induction on the list too but don't want to be under the hood after it's done. I'd rather be out playing with it than constantly tuning it.

It already has a trac loc 9", not sure what ratio yet.

A stock T5z could barely handle that kind of power and you'd be playing with fire, IMO. No clutch drops and you'd be safer doing granny shifts. I'd look into doing a TKO (500 or 600, whatever your preference is) or a T56 swap. They cost more but you get what you pay for. You'd be able to do some fun driving and not worry about exploding your trans if you want to do some quick shifts.

As far as suspension goes, I haven't done much research on it but everyone swears by street or track http://www.streetortrack.com/ The folks there really know their stuff and can steer you in the right direction with what kind of set up to go with.

If you want chassis stiffness, I'd check into the Street or Track website. There is a how to on installing convertible inner rockers and one piece seat riser. With a rotissere installation will be much easier.

Bob

You sure it's a 9 inch? If it truly is, then someone swapped that in at some point. That's a plus! Makes a guy wonder what else was done. Where are you located? That thing looks like it could be a pretty big project... like my car. lol

Absolutely positive it's a 9"

I got the car from my BIL. He had the axle installed,hi-po 289 heads on the factory 302, built c4 trans, new interior, etc prior to leaving for college...in 1990. I think the drum brakes are the reason it got parked.

Obviously someone did something to the car before he got it. It has a Mach 1 emblem on the passenger dash. It also has High backed seats, sport mirrors, blacked out hood, some type of hood scoop with turn signals and a rear wing/spoiler. In speaking with him about it this weekend, He knows nothing about the history of the car. I know nothing about what a 1969 f code car should have from the factory.

Like I said new to mustangs. I posted earlier that I was new to Fords too... I forgot that I been driving an F350 for the past 15 years.:blushing: