Sign in to follow this  
jmandcb769

Title Question

What is the VIN? Digits 3 and 4 tell you what it is:

01 = Coupe

02 = Fastback

03 = Convertible

I wouldn't worry about the title. The goverment employees make mistakes more ofthen than not. When I bought my '70 Coupe, the VA title said it was a SEDAN. Sedans are FOUR DOORS. LoL.

Hi New member here. Happy to join. In the process of buying a 69 sportsroof but the title under body type model says "cp". Does this not stand for coupe? What's your fastback title saying on your personal rides? Thx guys

Check the VIN, I believe a '69 Sportsroof/Fastback should have an "02" in the third and forth numbers in the VIN. "01" or "03" would be a coupe and convertible.

The title generally doesn't use a number to identify body style like the vin or data plates do. Mine shows cv on my title for convertible. I think it depends on the state though mine is a texas title.

I would make sure that the title vin matches the fender apron vin as that is most likely the correct one for the car. The doors ones are usually incorrect due to door changes unless you have an unmolested car. And the dash ones are some times missing. It will be on the top of the rear fender apron close to the shock tower. Mine has a star symbol then the vin.

The only legal vin on a 69 is the one on the dash. A 69 missing a dash vin is big trouble. The 69 sportsroof (as others have noted) the 3rd and 4th numbers will be 02. My 69 NJ built car has the apron vin under the quarter panel on the drivers side near the washer bottle. NY does not title cars older than 25 years so I cannot help you there, but as long as the vin matches you should be good to go.

Edited by JCB-69CJ

That is not correct about the legal vin. I know for a fact that texas and oklahoma look at the dash but also use the fender apron if it dash is missing. I had that problem with my old 67. The dash plate was missing and the door did not match the vin as it had been replaced. The texas dmv went with the fender apron and it matched the title. The oklahoma dmv did the same when I moved. It is crazy easy to change the dash vin as it is just pop riveted on. It is a lot of work to change the fender apron vin as it is stamped into the apron.

It depends on the state, my 69 didnt matter in texas. All mine vin locations match but they never even looked at any of them when I titled it or registered it. Oklahoma did vin checks when I moved but told me as long as either the dash or fender apron match the title you are good. It has to be that way with just about every state because if your dash plate is missing or not readable, how else would you be able to title or register it? Contact the dmv. I am right.

Hi New member here. Happy to join. In the process of buying a 69 sportsroof but the title under body type model says "cp". Does this not stand for coupe? What's your fastback title saying on your personal rides? Thx guys

The information on a title is meaningless as it varies from state to state and there is a set number of options for them to choose from. Sportroof is likely not an option to choose for body type. It's nothing to be concerned with.