Sign in to follow this  
Chesterhoss

Header question

Ok, I figured I'd come to you guys for opinions and input. I'm rebuilding my 351w in a 69 mach 1. The hedman headers were a giant pain in the a$$ to get out, specifically the drivers side. The drivers side headers also like to rattle against the frame at idle.

I want to replace them with new ceramic headers. Im comparing the hooker http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-6901-1hkr

and hedman

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-88306

Power really isnt a huge issue. Im mostly concerned about fitment and ease of maintenance around them. Does anyone use either of these headers? if so, are there any fitment issues involved?

Thanks for the input guys!

In general I have always had good figment luck with hedman and hookers. But my knowledge in the classic mustang field isn't quite as broad. I know that after buying a few cheap hedders and a few hooker/headman sets I'll never buy cheapies again as they never fit well. I was thinking that all of the 351 pipes were a bit of a pain due to the increased deck height but as I said my knowledge is limited.

Chesterhoss have you called FPA headers, I bought a set of their headers for my 70 mach1. Iam running a Cleveland in my mach1, I haven't fitted my headers up yet. What impressed me about FPA, was the questions they asked me about my car and setup I was going to run. Are you running power steering, air con in your car mate?

I got my FPA headers last week, I haven't had a chance to do a mock up mounting, but they are definitely a nice piece. The man definitely knows what he is talking about as well. These things are really built specifically to your vehicle.

I was skeptical at first and was looking at the hookers as well. I decided to pony up the extra coin and do FPA headers. No regrets thus far.

STOOOOOOP ! ! ! I have the same setup and tried HOK-6901-2HKR. They will not work ! Hooker made these for a friggin 302 which they fought with me telling me the engine where the same. Absolutly not ! The 351W is an inch taller which drove the collector flanges through the floor boards when I installed them. They wanted me to return at my cost yada yada yada and they would inspect. if they fit their jig then I would have to pay for the shipping back to me. Bottom line I went with Dougs midlengths and have no problem. Just make sure your exhaust shops knows you want the pipes higher than possible.