Sign in to follow this  

Fusible link

So, the other day had no power to anything and found after some extensive searching the fusible link on the starter solenoid was popped on the fender side. My question, is there a way to replace that link or what are my options? I am not a fan of jimmy rigging wires with butt connectors, which unfortunately is what I had to use to fix the break till I permanently fix it. I have tried to find just that wire but it does not appear to be sold separately. Thoughts? I know where my electrical problem is which will be fixed soon I just wanna have all my parts at once.

Is that the high amp wire going to the alternator? If so, PA Performance sells a 200 amp circuit breaker to replace it. It is in their high amp upgrade alternator.

Yea it is it's the one that powers the entire car. thanks for the info

You maybe can take your old link to Autozone and see if they have the same size.

A fuseable link is really nothing more than a piece of wire. In theory, the way it is supposed to work is the link is a smaller wire size than the rest of the wires in that circuit. If you have a short circuit or overload on the wires, the weakest place in the wires will burn up first. The weakest point is the link. The link often has a insulation that will not catch fire, because that wire will get really hot for a period of time before the wire actually opens like a blown fuse.

And solder it in to your existing harness, do not just wrap the wires. I also would recommend double layers of shrink tube to cover the solder joint when done.