Sign in to follow this  
juit

anyone used tie rod ends from early version mustang

Do they bend to a 90° at the end? The pic shows the tie rod ends straight, whereas out stock ones have a stud 90° to bolt to the spindle arm (or the bolt through the rod end)

buening I dot really know if they bend 90° but I can assure that the stocks wont not even go 35 before snaping the bar

its not about hillbilly looks actually this will look more stock than heims if you think about it, cause new version mustangs is what they use

Edited by juit

Typically, every mod made and discussed in here or elsewhere has a specific reasoning or benefit behind it. The point of running tapered adapter on heims for the outer rods is done to compensate for bump steer on a lowered/modified vehicle. If you find any of these cars running road course that is what they are doing. Simply put if you need heims you need them for adjustment purposes, therefore retrofitting the late model tie rod ends negates this. Therefore you should simply run factory tie rod ends. No need to reinvent the wheel.

ohhhh I didnt made my self clear, I was asking if it can be used as a Strut Rod end, but a guy from moog told me that it can be dangerous because its not made for tensile forces

so is the guy flying the bird in the right of your picture flying it at you or everyone that looks at the pic??? Hmmmm... Oh and I just love the oval turn signals instead of the originals.

Edited by dennyb68

ohhhh I didnt made my self clear, I was asking if it can be used as a Strut Rod end, but a guy from moog told me that it can be dangerous because its not made for tensile forces

Well, I only play an engineer at home, but because it's a steering arm it has to be subject to quite a bit of tensile forces. Now how much its engineered for, who knows. But it might be out there somewhere.

Bob

so is the guy flying the bird in the right of your picture flying it at you or everyone that looks at the pic??? Hmmmm... Oh and I just love the oval turn signals instead of the originals.

Ha! Good eye, I never noticed those two items.

Bob

I think only at you hahahaha, that guy help me bring the car from cali to texas its a good friend and a good mechanic, the lights had to use those to make it street legal

Well now that makes a bit more sense than using them as steering tie rods! What is the diameter of these tie rods? Its definitely risky as you don't know how much material supports the ball end of the tie rod. Rod ends withstand tens of thousands of pounds tensile force (which the strut rods can see close to that), yet I doubt the steering arms are made to withstand that much force. The impact of hitting a pothole at high speeds is where the larger forces come into play.

its not about hillbilly looks actually this will look more stock than heims if you think about it, cause new version mustangs is what they use

I think your bitting off more than you can chew here, if you want to ride like a new mustang then buy parts that have already been made and tested for our cars... if your on a budget fine, but u shouldn't "Mickey mouse" random parts. I hate to see mustangs chopped up like that, you'll pay twice in the end. besides, it creates a huge Safety issue but if your going for the stock look then why not stick with original parts? they are just as good if you have them built correctly.

if your going to build your own rod, at least do it correctly. they have heim, sleeves etc.. looks affordable too.

this is what I found:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Rod-Ends-Heim-Joints-Sleeves.html

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sale-Aluminum-Sleeves-for-3-4-Inch-Heims,45812.html

Not that it matters now, but this is exactly the inner tie rod used in the Randalls Rack power steering conversion for 69/70 Mustang. It connects to your existing outer tie rod and the center traveller of the rack and pinion. He might have changed recently to a different system, but I know this was used in them 5 years ago. But if you are using them for something else, good luck.