Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Interior light question

My 69 had the standard interior with the fold down rear seat. I'm changing things around and will be installing the deluxe interior. I have interior lights under the dash on each side as well as lights on the sail panels.

Did the deluxe interior also come with a roof mounted light. If so, where does the power come from and how is it mounted.

I have been told that there is no dome light on the fastbacks. Just the under dash courtesy lights and the opra lights on the sail panels. If you wanted to add one, just tap into the door switch and run it up the A pillar and over to the dome light.

If you wanted to put a dome light in you could get a interior rear view mirror from a 5.0 mustang convertible which has the dome light as well as map lights for both driver and passenger integrated into the bottom of the light. I uses the same glue on foot that attaches to the windshield of the stock mirror. A retrofit would involve getting the wires up to and under the headliner but no welding of brackets to the underside of the roof for the dome light. It also has the day/night switch.

Cruzzar-I thougt about that a long time ago when reading something similiar here. I also thought about a hidden antenna and wonder where to place it so it doesn't fall off in between the roof and headliner. I was also thinking of starting a thread and getting some ideals for the antenna.

What year rear view mirror would look best?

I put one of those miror lights in my convert, as it also does not have a dome light. The one I put in had 2 lights and 2 switches, the lights turn on either from the switch or when the interior lights are on. Then I came found a newer one at a boneyard, it is basically the same thing, but has the lights that stay on for 12 seconds after the door is closed. If you would be interested in purchasing the one I first installed, maybe we can work something out? I tried to sell it on ebay for $45 and nobody was interested.

The rear view mirror that I installed in my '70 had map lights for both the driver and passenger. Both of these map lights come on when the doors were opened and function as a dome light.

Edited by Cruzzar

The rear view mirrors from 94-98 (probably 99-04 as well) convertibles (V6, GT or Cobra) have the map lights in the base. When pulling them at the boneyard, also grab the wiring harness (or at least a portion of it so you can get the pigtail). I already have the mirror and pigtail waiting to be wired in. I also grabbed the base/foot from the donor car. That way I was sure I got a base that would work correctly.

Chuck

The ones with the 12 second delay have a 4 wire connector on the back, if it does not have this, it is a 3 wire connector. Good luck finding one, most are already pulled out of them. If you find one, I can tell you how to figure out which wire goes where. And make sure you get the pigtail mentioned, that is a good idea.