Sign in to follow this  
puzzledeagle

Default 2.3L 4 cylinder Foxbody engine into a 69 Mustang, possible?

If you go to VMF & check out the Vintage Mustang gallery look for build thread titled Beau's 68 coupe. He put a 2.3L turbo in a 68 Coupe, so it is probably possible in a 69. Hope that helps.

Mike.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but has it ever been done before? Would it be as simple as swap as the 5.0L swaps into a 1969 Mustang chassis?

ummm... can I ask why? One of the new Ecoboost 4s might be pretty cool, but one of those older ones. Is this replacing a 6 or and 8? I have to agree it should at least be the turbo - even though the interwebs tell me that the 3rd gens weighted in at 2705 lbs while a 69 is 2942 lb so only a couple hundred pound difference - I drove some of those old fox bodies... and it was not very thrilling IMHO. However again according to the ole interwebs the straight six and a 2.3 are probably more comparable then we would like to think once you factor gross v. net horse power. Still I'd kinda like to know why. At least it might be an interesting project. :tongue_smilie:

Personally I think it could be a fun project... and practical anymore with gas prices as they are.

I have an '88 Turbocoupe and an '85 SVO Mustang with 2.3T engines and I love those cars. They aren't torque monsters but can give a good seat in the pants feel and still get 30+ mpg on the highway. For a fun basic driver it would be pretty interesting. I also think a turbo version would be a must. The TC engines are just under 200hp and just over 200lbft torque which is enough to get you around just fine. That is with the stock 15lb boost limit.

I have a non-intercooled 2.3T with the full harness and a T5 setup that's waiting for a project but with the investment in my 347 and the limited driving I plan on I'm not changing plans for now.

I'd like to drop a 2.3T / 5 speed into a old MGB vert and have a crazy fun little pocket rocket... BUT I have to finish my 69 first before I get side tracked yet again.

-Stephen