Sign in to follow this  
Flanders

can't remove PS hydraulic ram

I'm replacing all my power steering components and hoses, but am currently stuck as I can't get the PS ram out. See red arrow, as this is the point where it's stuck:

steering_zps6a02ea50.jpg

It's not budging. I've removed the castle nut, so I thought perhaps the stud should just "slide" out. How tight should this be? I couldn't find my pickle fork to jam in there, but is this a common way to remove it?

I'm replacing all my power steering components and hoses, but am currently stuck as I can't get the PS ram out. See red arrow, as this is the point where it's stuck:

steering_zps6a02ea50.jpg

It's not budging. I've removed the castle nut, so I thought perhaps the stud should just "slide" out. How tight should this be? I couldn't find my pickle fork to jam in there, but is this a common way to remove it?

Flanders,

It is a taper fit so it will be tight. I find the best way to loosen any taper is by delivering a blow to the side of the hole. I just took apart my old front drum suspension this way. I usually take the castle nut off and flip it over and thread it back on. Then I hit the joint from the side and then tap the upside down castle nut and it usually will break loose.

Jim

Flanders,

It is a taper fit so it will be tight. I find the best way to loosen any taper is by delivering a blow to the side of the hole. I just took apart my old front drum suspension this way. I usually take the castle nut off and flip it over and thread it back on. Then I hit the joint from the side and then tap the upside down castle nut and it usually will break loose.

Jim

I really damaged mine getting it off so instead of rebuilding I ended up getting a replacement.

I got it off with the tie rod puller after the threads were already jacked up.

Put pressure on the joint and then hit the bar it goes through with a hammer.

I really damaged mine getting it off so instead of rebuilding I ended up getting a replacement.

I got it off with the tie rod puller after the threads were already jacked up.

Put pressure on the joint and then hit the bar it goes through with a hammer.

Jim's suggestion worked -- I put the castle nut back on it (upsidedown) and beat the !$%# out of it with a hammer. I also pounded on the PS ram itself, and eventually it popped out. Oh, and I had a liberal coat of PB blaster on there too. I had no intentions of rebuilding this one :)

Jim's suggestion worked -- I put the castle nut back on it (upsidedown) and beat the !$%# out of it with a hammer. I also pounded on the PS ram itself, and eventually it popped out. Oh, and I had a liberal coat of PB blaster on there too. I had no intentions of rebuilding this one :)