Sign in to follow this  
RPM

Welding Rear End Housing

I'm going to be welding four 2" beads for brackets on the tubes. Do I need to disassemble the rear end? Will the electric current damage the gears and bearings? Anyone welded on an assembled housing? Any advice or knowledge is appreciated.

Bob

Where on the housing are you going to be welding? As long as you are not welding right where a bearing or seal is located you will be fine. And you are not going to hurt the gears or any clutch packs inside of the pumpkin. The biggest issue is igniting a small fire inside of the housing. It's not very likely, but possible depending on the condition of the oil and debris inside of the tubes. I would tack the brackets at all four mounting corners. Then do a one inch bead and alternate to a different weld location and go back and forth. Does that make sense? Like welding on a sheet metal panel. You do short beads and jump around the panel until it is all done so you are not putting a lot of heat in one area for an extended period of time. B.

Thanks Bruce, I did weld it up that way. The beads are on the top of the tubes about 8" in from the bearings. No heat issues at the bearings. I was worried about an arc between 2 pieces like the ring and pinion gears. They seem to spin fine. Thanks guys.

Bob

the only way you could get an arc between the gears would be if you clamped the ground to the pinion yoke, and welded on an axle shaft; at which point the path to ground would require jumping through the gears. If you then welded on the housing the path would be through the bearings (bottom line, don't clamp the ground to a moving part). As long as you are grounded to the housing all will be fine from an arc standpoint.

Edited by Crazyhorse

other than what was just posted, you should never have to worry about damaging internals from welding due to electricity. However, if you are doing it with the axle in the car, disconnect the battery and cables. Most people only do the neg side, i do both.