Sign in to follow this  
J's69Mach1

69 mach 1 which tilt steering column came with our cars?

on 69 mustangs , which style tilt steering columns came in our cars from Factory? is it Tilt-Away steering. Or just Up and down movement style. Would it be hard to convert from factory fixed steering column to Factory correct tilt? Just curious how much work and parts is needed? thanks

As I understand, the tilt-away columns used vacuum. Finding all of the pieces would require luck and lots of cash. I thought that the 69's (at least the Cougars) had the tilt-away option, but I could be wrong. All of the 69/70 Mustangs I have ever personally seen were straight column or aftermarket. Ididit also makes a really good column and I have heard much more positive reviews of their customer service when compared to Flaming River. But, I have not heard any complaints that I can remember about the FR column itself. Neither are cheap. Both include mounting kits.

If you are looking only for factory correct, I wish you luck in your search. If you are willing to consider other alternatives, I've heard that late 70s and early 80s Fords/Lincolns/Mercuries had mechanical up-down tilting columns that should be adaptable to the 69/70 Mustang. I don't know which ones, yet. Vehicles that old are hard to find in the local Pick-N-Pull.

Chuck

My 69 came from the factory with the tilt away wheel. It has the normal tilt using the turn signal lever to move it up and down, and it also tilts up and to the right when you open the door. I have seen them come available from time to time on ebay, you just have to keep watching. I have seen them recently for the $300 to $500 range. Cougar used the exact same column, and Torino could also have? I am not sure about Torino, because if the transmission shifter was on the column, all you could get was tilt, not tilt away.