Sign in to follow this  
Flanders

electrical help (lighting)

I ran into this problem last year, and after removing/re-installing all the fuses my problem went away.

I'm hitting it again, and wonder if there's any more insight.

Problem: when I engage my turn signals, I get nothing. No tick tick tick from the flasher module, no dash, no hood scoop and no exterior turn signal lights come on. (flasher module has been replaced, so i'm sure it's not that). In addition, when I turn my headlights on, the interior dash lights do not come on -- but the exterior lights do come on.

Interior convenience lighting works, as does the fan blower, horn and wipers. Brake lights and taillights (along with headlights) work fine. It's only a problem with the dash lighting and turn signals.

I'm at work with limited internet access (nevermind the limited time to surf!). Any pointers? Is there a single fuse that's the culprit, or could it be something else?

Start with the fuse panel. Remove the fuses and test them, if found to be good move to cleaning the panel tabs with sandpaper. I use a small dowel wrapped with paper to insure clean contact points.

Next check all the grounding points for clean tight mounting.

Poor grounds cause most elec problems.

The turn signals work from the same fuse as the back up lights. Put the car in reverse with the motor off and the key in the run position and see if the back up lights are on. If they are, your turn signal fuse is definately ok. If they are not on, you probably have a problem wiht the fuse or fuse clips.

I also think there is no connection between the 2 problems you are mentioning. The dash lights work from the same circuit ast the headlights, so there is no fuse problem with them. Is you headlight switch turned all the way clockwise? Try spinning it in both directions, the dimmer on those often fail and could be the cause of your problem with it.

There is an outside chance you have a problem with the instrument cluster. That could be causing both troubles you are seeing. Reach behind it and unplug the connector to your flextape on the instrument cluster. Then check your back up lights, turn signals, and dash lights. The way to check the dash lights when the instrument cluster removed is look at the light for the heater control. If you now have a light at the heater control, with the intrument panel un-plugged, you have a problem with the instrument cluster. Also check your turn signals with the panel un-plugged.

Let us know what you find...

Check voltage at the flasher module/can to see if power is even getting that far. You can get a new bad flasher can. Also make sure you are checking the turn signal one and not the emergency flashers. Speaking of which, do the emergency flashers work OK for exterior lights as well as on the dash?

I'm thinking along the same lines as danno regarding the instrument cluster/connector/printed circuit causing the issues.

Cluster/control illumination lamps are on a seperate line Blue/red stripe.

Yes it is controlled by headlight switch but must pass thru fuse first then to the lamps.

blown or corroded fuse and no lamps will light inside the dash.

Dome/door lamps pass thru headlight switch for power and control from twisting knob for direct feed.

Turn signal gets power from key on fuse panel source, But it must pass thru fuse to operate lamps.

Cluster connection would not cause Ac/heat control panel lamps not to light up.

they have their own wire Blu/red to them.

you guys are great. Thanks for all the detailed info!

Life got in the way so I had limited debug time last night. That said, I did discover my headlight switch is a bit flakey and after some jiggling/turning the instrument cluster lights do come on. I forsee a new switch in my future.

I also see my reverse lights are not coming on, so tonight I'll check my fuse. I'm fairly certain my turn signal relay is ok, because I just replaced it with a new one that goes with my sequential LED tails and they work absolutely great. Well, they worked great for a few days until this problem appeared :)

I'll check my fuse tonight, fingers crossed it's something as simple as that!

Check the upper left most fuse: horizontal and should be a 20 amp fuse.

whew! Easy fix. The fuse was fine, and the fuse holder looked fine, but after a quick sanding and re-install, everything is working great again.