Sign in to follow this  
nhall80

dying seats?

In a previous thread, I was trying to decide what to do about my seats (which have red inserts and are a little tacky). While I can't afford to recover or replace them right now, I'd like to try dying them as someone in that thread suggested.

I'm skeptical of the dye. Will it rub off over time? Since only my inserts are red, will the rest of the seat not match? Will the seat look painted?

It seems like a cheap fix, and I generally believe that you get what you pay for, so I'm hesitant. Who has done this and what can you tell me?

I tried it and it didn't work well at all. I cleaned the vinyl and prepped it with a spray adhesion promoter and the second time I drove the car the dye was already starting to rub off in spots. If you are looking for a temporary fix, it will be fine, but definitely not a long-term solution.

Just thought I'd follow up on this project:

Dyed my seats last Friday, and they seem to be holding up. They look great. I let them dry until Monday and then drove for about 80 miles. It never rubbed off or even changed the sheen. I was very skeptical, but now I'm fairly impressed. The SEM stuff was the way to go. I think the trick is in the prep.

I think it may have been me who suggested it, glad it's working out so far. I have died many an interior in my day and the key is definitely in the prep, seats are the toughest with such direct contact but it's a good compromise for the cost when budget is tight or I guess if you flip cars for a living, LOL.

Post a pic when you can, give us a little before and after action to go with your experience.

Here are the before and after pics of my seat dying. Forgive the terrible "before" picture...It was all I had. I've run almost 2 tanks of gas through since the project and still no rubbing off. I also used the SEM dye on the interior vent panels. It makes a huge difference. I'm a believer.

[ATTACH]14062[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14063[/ATTACH]

I just checked the SEM site. Which product did you use, it seems there are a lot.

I used the Unversal Color Coat and the Vinyl Prep on all my soft parts. NPD sells it - search for vinyl dye.