Sign in to follow this  
ksquared

How to lock hood?

Anybody aware of a good method for securing the hood from unwelcome visitors/midnight auto? Like many here, I'm going to have some expen$ive stuff under the hood. Lockable hood pins might be a solution. Years ago I had a car with locks that took those round keys they often use on coin boxes.

Carbs: http://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/mustang/misc/webers1.jpg

That was the way we did it back in the day...either a lock on the hood pins or a chain under the hood. Now days, a bolt cutter will take care of those. Perhaps look into a good car alarm?

Yeah, a determined car theft is going to get it, but anything to deter or slowdown the average crook will help and he'll move on.:sneaky2:

I used a sytem that has a lock under the dash and one of those round keys. It had a cable that runs to the hood latch, and a hole in it where this cable disables it from opening. If you are interested in something like this, I can tell you more. I took it out when I got tired of it and no longer needed to lock my hood.

And if you would want to use something like this, I will make you a deal on mine. I can get you photos, etc.

The hood latch mechanism for the early 1970s Ford F150 is an exact replacement for the 69/70 Mustang but it is a remote operated that uses a cable that extends to under the dash. It still has the safty latch mechanism but it can not be used to open the hood, you must use the cable to unlatch it. I can't tell you exactly what years but you can remove the latch mechanism from your car (two bolts on the radiator support) and take it to your local pick-n-pull and match it up with a remote off of a pickup. Yor don't need the latch bar that is on the hood because it is the same as your mustang's. I hound a cable that was long enough to fit next to my brake release lever. Here's some pics.

p5220030.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

p5220036.jpg