johnkoe

428 Shock Towers

The shock towers were the same, except that the 428 cars got reinforcements welded onto the shock towers to handle the extra stress of the motor. Interestingly, I believe the 390 cars in 67 and 68 did not receive the shock tower reinforcements, just the 428's. Opentracker Racing sells a similar reinforcement kit http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/towerkit/ . I've always heard nothing but great things about that operation.

Correct in regards to the shape of the reinforcement, not the car in question. Depends on what you are looking for. This is just another option.

Correct? How correct is a 428 put into a C or A car? I'd be doing so my shock towers don't crack, not for correctness.

I should have used better words to explain my thoughts. The owner is installing an engine( and a good one in the 428) into his car which came from the factory with a 289. My brother has a 69 Mach I 428 scj drag pack. Every time he buys a " correct" part for it, it costs him several times more than if he just bought a replacement part. I was expecting the correct shock tower pieces to cost more and be an expense that the owner need not incur, since the car is not being restored to original.

Bob

My brother has a 69 Mach I 428 scj drag pack. Every time he buys a " correct" part for it, it costs him several times more than if he just bought a replacement part.

If I only had a dime for every time I said this...I wouldn't be as poor as I am as a result of my SCJ! :surrender::cursing:

The surprise systems were the same, except that the 428 vehicles got supports welded onto the surprise systems to deal with the extra pressure of the engine. Remarkably, I believe the 390 vehicles in 67 and 68 did not get the surprise structure supports, just the 428's. I've always observed nothing but advantages of that function. . . . . . . . .