Sign in to follow this  
cobra3073

Input Needed

An issue was raised (in my mind) as a result of a post to another thread that I started and rather than post up this issue on that thread, I thought I might create a "new" one to get additional inputs. Specifically:

For you folks who have or are using the after market shaker air cleaner assembly consisting in whole or part of fiber glass components, please share your experience. In posting up, hopefully you will speak to how your Mustang has been used (cruising, show, race, etc.), how long you have had the Shaker in use and whether you have had any issues with any of the Shaker components cracking or otherwise becoming distressed.

Considering the (in my mind) high prices being asked for "original" shaker parts, I think this is a worthy query as to the feasibility of these after market parts.

Thanks.

BT

i have no experience only an opinion..... i am looking into the MRAU-351C from Ford Ram Air to finish out my Boss 429 scoop on my 408 Clevor setup... but will probably have to mod it due to my Mallory Distributor, aftermarket Clevor intake and Demon carb etc..... but i think it will be something different when opening up the hood....

as for the shaker... yes I would purchase a fiberglass unit before a original due to my car being a modded car.. at this point im going with the Boss 429 setup with ram air ... but if i change it ill go with a fiberglass shaker setup.

Edited by stangme428

I looked in to this sometime back, as I had considered a fiberglass unit. Everything I read that came from owners who had fiberglass units was positive. I just couldn't do it.

Machspeed, if it is not too personal, could you share the reason(s) why you couldn't do it?

Thanks!

BT

Machspeed, if it is not too personal, could you share the reason(s) why you couldn't do it?

Thanks!

BT

The shaker scoop is a favorite aspect of the 69 and 70 Mustang for me. And, I will be going to great lengths to fit the unit up under my high rise type intake. If I'm gong to do all that, then I'm not going to go cheap on the scoop assembly. Additionally, I will likely have to modify the airfilter pan and I just feel I could do that cheaper with a metal pan than that of a fiberglass pan. If I mess it up, I can acquire another pan. Rember, I have the Aussie ring. Lastly, I feel metal is just better and of course closer to the original.

This guy makes a very nice unit....I've seen it. He's also a very nice guy:

http://www.fordramair.com/new/info/faqs.htm

Like many, I was thinking of adding a shaker or something like FordRamAir's MRA-428. When I learned that it will cost nearly $1K to do it, I decided to pass. The gain in performance (my priority) is small. I could install nitrous for less than that. That's almost half the cost of a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads. Shakers are cool but my non-functional scoop will have to do (unless there is something out there that costs a lot less?).

Great inputs Machspeed and Ksquared!

I would think that many Members probably share the same or similar opinions.

The "Aussie Ring" option seems to be a viable choice for those wanting to run a "metal" base but not willing to pay the high fee for an "original" pan. That being said, it appears the complete fiber glass shaker units can be acquired from a couple of sources for less than $800.

I have read some opinions (in other places) that the fiberglass units are sometimes being maligned so that "certain entities" can continue to get the high prices for the "original" metal units. That is one of the reasons I started this thread to try and get some "hard facts" on just how well the fiber glass units are holding up in real world situations.

Let the conversations continue.

BT

Another 2 cents worth - according to material I read somewhere, the scoop area on the hood is not a high pressure area. The higher pressure air flow is kind of on a line from the front of the hood to the roof. As I see it, there are 2 reasons to fit a shaker or other scoop to the car 1. cool air induction with slight pressurization at speed for more power, 2. coolness factor. A shaker definitely satisfies number 2. I don't think it does much for number 1. When I finally get my car going, I'm going to look into the type of cool air intake that gets air from where the two inboard headlights sit. That's a high pressure area. Problem is I don't want to give up those headlights. I have some ideas but it will have to wait a bit.

Ram Air, cowl, shaker and such has such a tiny effect and only at impractical speeds (usually 80+ mph) that they are really only for looking awesome. I was looking into making my hood functional by cutting out the area that would normally be cut for the shaker to allow air in but the more and more I researched it plus what I learned in the past about my Trans Am's Ram Air found it to be pretty much a useless mod to do.

Again, I strongly agree with the comments from Ksquared and FrozenMonkey, particularly the parts relative to "coolness factor" and "looking awesome." LOL

Seriously, as someone who has done a lot of racing over the past 35 years, I can certainly appreciate the fact that adding a shaker does not significantly increase "performance" (in most cases) but it does satisfy a "need" for some of us.

That having been said, I am trying to determine if there are any durability issues (actual or perceived) with the fiber glass components found in some of the Shaker kits being offered by different Vendors.

I strongly believe the inputs on this thread may serve as a GREAT source for Members who might be considering this addition or modification. Please keep them coming.

BT

I have a fiber glass base under an original upper ram air unit. It has been three years and it looks like the day it was installed. It was what I had to do since I could not find an original base for a Windsor.

Jag

I have a fiber glass base under an original upper ram air unit. It has been three years and it looks like the day it was installed. It was what I had to do since I could not find an original base for a Windsor.

Jag

Where did you source your base from Jag, if you don't mind sharing.

And what did you use for the Intermediate Plate, metal or fiber glass? How frequently do you use your Mustang?

Thanks

BT