Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Whats the widest tire for 17 x 8 bs 4 1/4

SM69Mach- What size wheel & tire is in the front. I would be interested knowing your front and rear rim width and backspace. Any mods in the suspension. Are you finding it hard to steer with that wide of a front tire, does the handling of the car really grab any groove in the road - does the front get squirrelly at times when just cruising down the road.

Thank You

255+ size wheels in the front will make the it will make it tram line a bit, but nothing bad. I ran 265 tires on my previous car, E46M3, and had zero issues.

You should look at dodgrstance.com or take a peak at my wheel sizing thread. That sort of information is already available, its known territory.

Got it Mike, Thanks a lot.

I'm thinking.... of buying a set of 4 Ultra 454's, all 4 have the same width and backspace. I'm trying to get feedback from other members who may of experimented with that size.

Buy the way, how did you survive the storm? Hope all is well with you and your family.

I was born and raised in East Brunswick. Use to be a Life Guard / Bouncer at Seaside Heights during the summer months when in college. A lot of good memories there.

SM69Mach- What size wheel & tire is in the front. I would be interested knowing your front and rear rim width and backspace. Any mods in the suspension. Are you finding it hard to steer with that wide of a front tire, does the handling of the car really grab any groove in the road - does the front get squirrelly at times when just cruising down the road.

Thank You

prayers

I run a 17X8 up front. It is a bullitt whell from the 94-04 stangs. I run a 1.25 Spacer, so not compltely sure of the whole BS. I have 620lb 1 in lowering springs, and the shelby drop done in the front. It does track a little when the roads are then that great, but it is not terrible. The car is a weekend cruiser so for just driving around it is not bad. I am looking at power steering options as with a bigblock it is heavy in the front.

The ideal backspace for a 17x8 wheel on these cars is 4 3/4". Most have 4 1/2" and they work okay, a popular tire size for these is 245/45. 4 1/4" would work better on a 17x7 wheel using something like a 235/50 tire. I would avoid buying the 17x8 wheels with 4 1/4" backspace myself, there are better options out there, the Coys C-67 wheels look much like what you want and they come in the correct sizes. Check out these links:

http://www.coyswheel.com/coys-c67.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17x7-17x8-AMERICAN-RACING-SHELBY-COBRA-WHEELS-TIRES-IN-STOCK-FORD-MUSTANG-1970-/200856226650?hash=item2ec3f6cb5a&item=200856226650&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Edited by chillininnh

SM69Mach- Thanks for getting back to me. Are you running the same size wheel in the back?

Chillininnh- Thank you for taking the time to show me the above information.

The tires you mentioned, 245/45 has a width of 9.69" & the 235/50 has 9.25, both under 10". Right now, in the rear I have Weld Prostars 15x10 w/ 5" bs on 295/50/15. The tire width is 12", the tire print is 10.5" The outside of the tire lines up with the outside of the 1/4 panel. In distance, I got about 2' between the 2. Yes, it does rub with gas shocks and to be foolproof I'd have to have air shocks which I'm against.

I looked into the C-67. They do make a 17x8 w/ a 4.75 bs and a 17x9 w/ a 5.5 bs .

With 17x9, they siad I can fit 275/40/17, that size tire has has a 10.82 width.

Would that fit into the well or be just like my 295's???

My goal is to get the widest tire possible with either an Ultra 454, C-67 or 454 Edelbrock wheel.

I know, I know!!! BUT THANK YOU!

I was just looking for a members personal experience, not information from a chart.

Such as, would I need to remove the rear bump stop, roll the fender, front suspension issues, coil spring height, leaf spring etc....

Anyhow, I appreciate everyones help. THANK YOU

SM69Mach- Thanks for getting back to me. Are you running the same size wheel in the back?

Chillininnh- Thank you for taking the time to show me the above information.

The tires you mentioned, 245/45 has a width of 9.69" & the 235/50 has 9.25, both under 10". Right now, in the rear I have Weld Prostars 15x10 w/ 5" bs on 295/50/15. The tire width is 12", the tire print is 10.5" The outside of the tire lines up with the outside of the 1/4 panel. In distance, I got about 2' between the 2. Yes, it does rub with gas shocks and to be foolproof I'd have to have air shocks which I'm against.

I looked into the C-67. They do make a 17x8 w/ a 4.75 bs and a 17x9 w/ a 5.5 bs .

With 17x9, they siad I can fit 275/40/17, that size tire has has a 10.82 width.

Would that fit into the well or be just like my 295's???

My goal is to get the widest tire possible with either an Ultra 454, C-67 or 454 Edelbrock wheel.

No I am running a 18X10 out back with a 305/35 tire.

Idk why I can't keep my phone from correcting it from s t a n g. Lol.

I know, I know!!! BUT THANK YOU!

I was just looking for a members personal experience, not information from a chart.

Such as, would I need to remove the rear bump stop, roll the fender, front suspension issues, coil spring height, leaf spring etc....

Anyhow, I appreciate everyones help. THANK YOU

Dodge Stang... my phone didn't correctit this time ;)... is experience from people trying it, which h is how they have that information to begin with.

For any wide tires, you will need to roll the fenders, mostly a given. It's around here a lot, when people throw wide wheels and rubber in the rear, they tend to need to trim the bump stop flush with the wheel well. Leaf spring, again, all depends on how wide you really want to go. I've found ALL this basic information here and on VMF via the search function. Now, I want to run really wide up front, which isn't so common (285s). That's why I say contact 69gmustang, he has some experience in that department.

I think your suspension geometry will vary if you have stock like parts on it and that have been there for a while. My front end sits relatively low, but its all stock parts. Which means, in my case, that the springs are most likely done and I need new ones.

And again, contact 69gmachine, he's running wide ties up front.

Edited by 69_Mustang

Is that the standard 94-04 18X10 wheel installed with no spacer? I believe the backspace is 6.3". How is the clearance to the lip and the leaf? Are the fender lips rolled?

Yes it is a standard BS at 6.3 and no spacer. There is very liitle room between the inside of the wheel/tire and the leaf spring, probably 3/8"-1/2". Fender lips are rolled and the had to make some room on the inner front fender well. That was more of an issues then the fender lips.

FWIW, I personally wouldn't go much wider than a 245 on an 8" wide tire. If you get too wide of a section width on a rim you will get some funny bulging sidewalls along with tire wear pattern issues. Also keep in mind section widths vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, something to watch out for. There is a nice diagram from GrabberMach on here showing the different section widths for the 315 tires.

Things to keep in mind when getting input from others on a forum is if they are running the stock suspension or modified. For example the 69gmachine guy is running a custom front suspension which, IIRC, changes track width, suspension geometry, along with others. Due to those changes, he's also running 9" wide rims without issue. The wider rim allows him to run the 275 tires. On a stock suspension, 9" wide rims don't play very nice with the frame and control arms. Also something to consider is tire diameter. A taller tire that is wider than 245 will likely cause interference issues with the front valance at full turn lock. The typical 245/45/17 tires work just fine on our cars with stock suspension, but if you go with a taller tire just be aware of possible issues with the valance. I believe 69 Mustang above has been messing around with his front tires and the clearance issues with the valance

Edit: Crap I just noticed you mentioned 4.25" backspacing. That pushes the wheel out further than the recommended 4.5/4.75" bs. If your car is lowered enough that the top of the tire can contact the lip, you may need to go a bit narrower than 245 or go with a larger backspace rim.....or roll the lips and use a narrower section width 245

This has been interesting reading. So an 8" wide 17" front rim is about the widest a person would want to fit with stock suspension components? I'm wanting to fit a 9.5" wide rim in the back with an 8" in front. All stock suspension with the Shelby drop in front. I have looked at the info at dodgestang several times over the last two years. B

Based on my experience, the 245/17 on an 8" wheel with 4.5" bs puts the outer edge of the tire near the fender lip on a lowered car. You cant go any more than 4.75" bs becaise the wheel lip hits the UCA balljoint. So if you go with a 9" wheel, where will the extra inch go? It just pushes the tire into the fender, so you have to raise the car or go with fender flares or fix the ball joint issue.

Okay, so 245/17 on an 8" rim is about max then without mods. Would an aftermarket upper control arm give more clearance for a rim with 4.75" backspacing? I don't want that "pizza cutter" look on the front.

A 9.5" rim in the rear should fit just fine right? B

Thank you for breaking it down for me, I now have a clearer understanding from ALL of your explanations. For me it has been a difficult subject, if your not going with a stock setup and purchase something different without knowing it doesnt fit, well then you can be out a ton of money.

Theres just too many variables involved.

On several occasions, I did visit Dodgestang site which has been very helpful, his chart is very detailed, outlining various sizes and advice on how to get the proper fit.

Personally, I first prefer another persons opinion and the people I chose to listen to are on this site. Who better to help you then someone who has done it with the same vehicle.

I rest my case and THANK YOU TO ALL!