Sign in to follow this  
mark69sportsroof

Wood Grain Vinyl Installation

Mark,

I know it is probably a little bit different but I just upgraded the dash and cluster on my '68 coupe from standard to deluxe. Instead of the '68 woodgrain I opted for the '67 brushed aluminum. My installation was basic but time consuming. I will tell you what I had done to mine, use what applies to you.

1) I removed the instrument cluster bezel, above the glovebox panel, my end trim panels and center bezel.

2) I took the gauges out of the bezel and then cleaned everything with soap and water.

3) After everything dried I wiped all of the surfaces I was going to cover with an alcohol cleaning pad until the pads were clean. I then let it dry.

4) Here is where it may be different. My panels were rigid, thin aluminum inserts without adhesive. I purchased the thinnest 3M double sided tape I could find along with a bottle of Gorilla glue.

5) I started with the smallest, easiest piece, cleaned it with an alcohol pad and when it dried put the adhesive on the back of the brushed aluminum and then carefully adhered it to the panel. Even, firm pressure and a couple of spring clamps for about 5 minutes on the 3M tape or a little longer on the glue. I put a microfiber cloth I cut into pieces under the spring clamp so I would ding or damage the aluminum.

6) I slowly worked all of the parts BEING CAREFUL NOT TO PUT MY FINGERS ON WHAT I HAD ALREADY CLEANED WITH THE ALCOHOL PAD.

7) Reinstalled my gauges to the bezel, put everything back in and bragged to everyone how great it looked.

If your sheets are more like laminate you may have to trim with an exacto knife. I would suggest doing that one they are firmly mounted and use the panels to guide the trimming.

Godd luck with it and have fun!

A local guy I found did a great job restoring my wood grain bezels. Click the link to see a before/after picture.

http://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/...ore_after1.jpg

He also did the right side. I don't have a before on it but here is the after:

http://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/...zel/after2.jpg

The right side picture was taken with a flash so the color looks different. They are actually identical in color.:thumbup1:

If interested, the shop that did the work is:

http://www.timsgarageaz.com

I'm a happy customer

Thanks for all the info. I did check out TACHMAN but $500.00 seemed way to high. I re did my 73 Mach 1 wood grain but the 69's is more that

I want to challenge. I will pursue Tim's Garage and let you know. I have the wood grain that the back sheet peels off.

Thanks Mark

Good stuff - I didnt know this product existed. I'd be interested in seeing how much shrinkage a heat gun would offer. Vinyl headliners draw up an amazing amount with a heat gun. Still might take some skill to do the instrument panel bezel with each hole folding down with no stretching or wrinkles.

Yeah the heat gun will make vinyl pretty easy to form around curves and corners. Trick, at least in my opinion, is getting the edges to stay sealed....particularly on the gauge openings and clock opening. I'd think if you let some overhang and fold the excess over the edge with the heatgun, that it would stay longer than cutting flush with the edge of the opening.

Many times these original panels just have a spot or two that has separated around the clock opening or gauge opening, and a bit of heat and some adhesive will bring it back to normal. Just don't make my mistake and get it too hot, melted vinyl doesn't look to well (mistake I made years ago when I was young). :lol:

Thanks for all the great info. I did talk to Tim at Tim's garage and he does

do them by hand. I checked out "Ksquared" pics and they look great. He is going to do the instrument and clock bezels for approx $100.00. I already had the old vinyl removed and the metal blasted cleaned. The tachman wants $395.00 Thanks Ksquared and everyone else.

Mark

Edited by mark69sportsroof

Does the new wood grain have the "cellophane" covering over the wood grain like the original or is it just wood grain vinyl?

Not sure what you mean about cellophane but the redo is very much like my originals except in color and condition. My originals didn't have a cellophane covering over the wood grain. Mine are still on the bench. If you want, I can take some close up pics.