Sign in to follow this  
1969mustang302

High beam removal for ram air

I was thinking about removing the high beam headlights and creating my own sort of ram air intake with piping running to the air cleaner. However upon further inspection it doesnt seem possible because of the size of the radiator and the battery cover where I would be able to go through to the headlights. My question is does anyone know of someone who has done this and if so how they got around to the headlights?

Thanks

I was thinking about removing the high beam headlights and creating my own sort of ram air intake with piping running to the air cleaner. However upon further inspection it doesnt seem possible because of the size of the radiator and the battery cover where I would be able to go through to the headlights. My question is does anyone know of someone who has done this and if so how they got around to the headlights?

Thanks

If you're just doing it for fun and because it would be trick, go for it.

But if your hope is to improve performance, I wouldn't bother. Even the functional shaker scoop really doesn't improve performance. It's just cool.

If you're just doing it for fun and because it would be trick, go for it.

But if your hope is to improve performance, I wouldn't bother. Even the functional shaker scoop really doesn't improve performance. It's just cool.

This type of mod which stems from the old Ford Thunderbolt I thought was supposed to actually be pretty functional since it's pulling air from that brick wall of a front end where it is plentiful? Agreed that the shaker is more for appearance or any opened up scoop for that matter since the air traveling over the hood into it is minimal. Although it looks less cool and I hate to admit it but Chevy's reverse cowl design is actually better than our shaker since the air from the bottom of the windshield is much colder and more dense.

I remember a mod on a Mustang that actually opened up the cowl to the engine bay and pulled the cold air from there instead.

This type of mod which stems from the old Ford Thunderbolt I thought was supposed to actually be pretty functional since it's pulling air from that brick wall of a front end where it is plentiful? Agreed that the shaker is more for appearance or any opened up scoop for that matter since the air traveling over the hood into it is minimal. Although it looks less cool and I hate to admit it but Chevy's reverse cowl design is actually better than our shaker since the air from the bottom of the windshield is much colder and more dense.

I remember a mod on a Mustang that actually opened up the cowl to the engine bay and pulled the cold air from there instead.

yes this is mainly just for fun and looks. I wanted to do something a little different than the norm. Looking at it today it looks like if I move the battery to the trunk as RacerX stated and then remove the windshield washer fluid reservoir I should have direct access to where the high beams are, then I just need to fab some mesh to put over the holes.