tnmach1

351w Drivers Side Exhaust Removal

I am trying to remove the driver's side exhaust manifold through the top of the car. I have removed all of the manifold bolts and manifold to exhaust studs with no problem.

I have power steering, power brakes, and manual transmission; so everything is in the way. I have removed the export brace and valve cover. I have come so close to getting it out, but there is a tab on the head side of the manifold that makes it impossible to wedge it out the top without the manifold to exhaust flange getting in the way.

Does anybody have any tips for getting it out the top or am I trying to do something that's impossible. I just wanted to take them off to have them sand blasted and painted. The passenger side was easy.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have the same setup. I took the manifold off last spring. I cannot remember exactly what I did. I do remember having to remove something else. It was might have been the Zbar.....sorry not much help. I just wanted you to know it is possible. I think I took it out of the bottom though. I went through the same pains you are. Just keep at it.

Thanks for the response. I have looked at it more this morning and it appears that you have to remove the Z-bar and drop the exhaust whether you pull it from the top or the bottom. Don't know if I can handle it. I've got limited space in my garage. So working under my car is very tough. That's why I was trying to pull the manifold through the top.

I’m doing the same but it looks like the clutch linkage is preventing me from removing it from the drivers side.   It is possible to get it out without the linkage removal.  They are the long tube steel headers

On 11/17/2012 at 8:02 PM, tnmach1 said:

Does anybody have any tips for getting it out the top or am I trying to do something that's impossible. I just wanted to take them off to have them sand blasted and painted. The passenger side was easy.

Don't know if it will work in your case or not but I have gained a little more clearance by removing the transmission mount bolts. With my foot put some pressure on tail of transmission and actually slide it over some. I was taking my header out bottom tho. If you just need a tiny bit more clearance at back part of engine it might allow you to remove from the top.   

1 hour ago, det0326 said:

Don't know if it will work in your case or not but I have gained a little more clearance by removing the transmission mount bolts. With my foot put some pressure on tail of transmission and actually slide it over some. I was taking my header out bottom tho. If you just need a tiny bit more clearance at back part of engine it might allow you to remove from the top.   

Ingenious.