Sign in to follow this  
relic1864

power steering whine

The power steering on my 69 coupe whines when I turn the steering wheel. I also notice a wobble on the power steering pully. The power steering works fine but it bothers me that it whines when turning the steering wheel. The resevoir is full on the dipstick. Is this a case of the power steering pump about to go out or what? Its done this since i bought the car about 3 years ago. Should I try replacing the pump?

The pump has no bearings just a bushing on the shaft. Typically whine indicates the rotor assembly is scored. How scored will dictate the pressure loss & the amount of noise.

I always thought it was that the air hasn't bled out of the pressure lines properly. When I changed the ram on my mach1 it made that whine so I locked the steering left to right while it was jacked up and the noise went away. My coupe did it for about six months after I got it and it kinda went away on its own without me doing anything!

just talked to a mechanic. he said fords were bad about whinning power steering pumps. he told me to put two table spoons of motor oil in with the power steering fluid and most times the whining will go away. i think i will try that first before replacing the pump.