Sign in to follow this  
BuckeyeDemon

repop shaker trim ring

i posted this on another forum, so i'll add it as reference information here.

-------------

after buying a repop shaker trim ring, i decided to rework my original...

snapped some pics. between the repop and my original. maybe there was some other revision of an original trim ring that matches better, i don't know.

the shape is a little different where it meets the sharp hood lines. people probably wouldn't notice unless they were really focused on it.

IMG_3533.jpg

here you can see how there really isn't any lip on the repop. it's kind of a sharp edge.

IMG_3534.jpg

here you can see how the inner flange is much wider. you can also see the different studs.

IMG_3529-1.jpg

i never installed it on my hood so i don't know how it actually fit.

Why did you buy a repop if you have an original?

it was bent down where each one of the studs were tightened and there was some small amount of pitting (pot metal).

the price of the repop had me thinking it would be pretty nice, so i got it.

on my original i ended up using a block of steel, hammer and a dolly to straighten the lip all the way around. i fixed the pitting by wiping it with some light weight filler.

Who did you buy the repop from? Did it have a brand on the box?

i can't remember if it had a box. i'm guessing there wasn't because i still have the plastic wrapper for it that has the NPD part number on it (16958-1A).

just to be clear, i'm in no way saying this part won't work as a trim ring. just pointing out some differences.

I lucked out and found what I believed to be an original along with a scoop and adapter plate. It's all metal and I had to do a lot of work to get it straight but its studs are 6-32 machine threads. Maybe is an old repo?

If you do try to repair it, let us know the results please. My original trim ring has a crack all the way thru the back side just off the peak. Been pondering my options for quite a while.

Just saw this in search of a quality Shaker hood trim ring. I purchased a re-pop when I purchased my hood, but don't care for the re-pop. Mine was purchased through CJ Pony, but I don't know who makes it. I see Scott drake makes one, but I can't make out the details on it. Can anyone comment on a quality re-pop hood trim ring?