Sign in to follow this  
BuckeyeDemon

couple + spoiler?

i have a friend who picked up a 70 coupe a few months ago. it has a rear spoiler commonly seen on the fastbacks. he noticed in the sunlight it appeared the spoiler was almost sinking into the trunk lid (something like that anyways).

for those who have installed a spoiler on a coupe, is there some sort of support underneath? did the person install it at a weak point on this car?

anyone else experience this problem?

i haven't personally seen the underside of a coupe lid.

thanks.

Edited by BuckeyeDemon

No, they mount directly beneath the spoiler pedestels and were designed specifically to prevent the condition you describe.

hmm. i thought they attached to the spoiler and also to the fasteners for the hinge. guess i never really looked at them.

They go in side the oval in the pic and provide diret support under the decklid skin for the pedestal. I wouldnt try to install and spoiler without them. I just looked and you are right, they pickup the aft most hinge bolt.

1218547021-081208_06401.jpg

Buckeye, there is no support underneath. When I mounted the spoiler on the trunk lid of my 69 Coupe what I did was use a hole saw & cut a larger hole & slipped in metal sleeves that are used to route wiring inside lamps & made a bracket to cap off the bottom & screwed it to the undeside of the trunk lid to make it solid. This way I could tighten it down without colapsing th outside skin of the trunk lid.

th_100_0370.jpg?t=1345807005

Buckeye, there is no support underneath. When I mounted the spoiler on the trunk lid of my 69 Coupe what I did was use a hole saw & cut a larger hole & slipped in metal sleeves that are used to route wiring inside lamps & made a bracket to cap off the bottom & screwed it to the undeside of the trunk lid to make it solid. This way I could tighten it down without colapsing th outside skin of the trunk lid.

pic?

don't you have one on the back of your coupe?

actually thats just a rendering of my coupe with black fr500s' thats the route im going with minus the wing. currently a 392w is being installed with VV brake kit.

again, never liked the spoilers unless they were on the fastbacks. I would prefer a duck tail wing like the camaros have.

I think the vert and coupe lid are pretty much the same and when the PO added the spoiler to my vert he did just like Mike said. If you locate the spolier in what would be the correct spot if original the bolts go right thru the cross bracing which is the thickest part of the trunk lid. Slightly larger holes than the bolt size were drilled from the underside and sleeves of tubing about the same length of the brace were inserted up inside so that it couldn't be over tightened which I assume is why your friend feels like his is sinking into the skin.

I think the underside of the lid looks pretty untidy this way especially in my case where one set of the bolts is not centered on the brace. If I had it to do myself from the start I would drill a much larger hole in the brace to fit a socket up into it, replace the threaded rod on the spoiler with shorter lengths and double nut it from directly underneath then put plugs into the holes to finish it off.

i had a chance today to look at my friends coupe at work today. the previous owner had cut out a larger oval slot in the bracing (about 1" X 2") and simply secured the wing to the top side skin using two nuts on those studs. i can see where it's caused almost a ridge in the skin. you can wiggle the spoiler pretty easily and see the skin move.

the trunk lid feels really heavy. it would probably cause the trunk lid to slam shut hard if you let go of it. i'm not sure if it's one of the heavy wings or what.

he's considering removing the wing and having the holes welded up and repainted. we are brainstorming your ideas and some of our own to try and come up with a better way to support it and not put all the stress on the skin.

the hinges are located pretty far away from the spoiler as compared to the fastback, so i'm not sure how we could utilize the fastback support bracket.

Buckeye I took the pics of my spoiler set up today & will post them on friday. The fastback spoiler bracket will not work on a Coupe that is why I fabbed up the pieces I did to make it secure. BTW I adjusted the trunk tension rods one notch tighter so the trunk lid stays open on its own.

th_100_0412.jpg?t=1349423633th_100_0411.jpg?t=1349423628

Buckeye, the first pic is the pieces I used to secure the rear spoiler & the second is it all assembled. I am going to put 2 rubber caps over the ends of the spoiler studs to finish it off & make it look a little cleaner.

Mike.

100_0412.jpg

100_0411.jpg

Buckeye, the first pic is the pieces I used to secure the rear spoiler & the second is it all assembled. I am going to put 2 rubber caps over the ends of the spoiler studs to finish it off & make it look a little cleaner.

Mike.

thanks for the pics!