Sign in to follow this  
Flanders

No turn signals, brake lights, or headlights?

On the weekend when I took the car out, I don't recall having this problem. Plus, it was safety checked a few weeks ago so I know at one point everything was working.

Today, I got honked at a few times (from behind) and once I got to my destination I checked and saw I have no turn signals or brake lights. Radio doesn't have power, and I can't turn my headlights on (I think the interio courtesy lights still work, I'll double-check later).

At first glance with a flashlight, all the fuses look to be in-tact. Should I pull them all to check again, or is there something else obvious that ties all these systems together?? Otherwise, car starts and runs just fine but I figure I should attempt to fix this safety issue before I drive home today :)

First guess is a fuse. I want to say all of those are on the same circuit, but I don't have my manuals handy to verify.

M/C

yep, I'm in the same boat :) stuck at work with restricted internet access and no manuals!

I would suggest cleaning the fuse holders in the fuse box. I had a problem with my flashers and turn signals, and that is what it turned out to be, dirty, corroded fuse contacts.

you could be on to something. I 'pushed' in all the fuses (didn't pull them out first) and followed this up by playing hard with my turn signal stalk, and PRESTO things started working again. Not sure which one fixed things, but I'm betting the fuse panel.

So, looks like I'll dig into my fuse panel some more! Thanks all

Hold on there, you have been chasing the wrong thing. The headlights AND Brake lights do not have a fuse in the fuse box. They have no connection to it. A wire goes from the battery directly to the headlight switch, and within the headlight switch are 2 circuit breakers. One for the headlights and one for the brake, tail, and parking lights. They are automatically reset, so if there is a short, it resets itself until the short is removed.

The turn signals use a fuse in the fusebox. The circuits for the headlights really are completely seperate from the brake lights. The only common thing is the wire to the headlight switch from the battery.

Playing with your turn signal stalk has no connection to the headlights. My guess is that the problem could be a bad connection on the headlight switch. Check that....