Sign in to follow this  
chillininnh

clutch slipping, what are you running?

Well the clutch I installed in the car is NOT up to the task and I have to replace it. While I'm at it I'm also going to install a blowproof bellhousing as well. I'm looking at a RAM 98794HDT clutch and a Quicktime 6065 bell. Should I plan on resurfacing the flywheel? I hate not having everything I need before getting started, what else do I need? Offset dowels, flywheel bolts,

pressure plate bolts? What else am I forgetting? Opinions on this and my choice of components are sincerely welcome, thanks folks! Stats are in my signature, engine is good for 500+ at the crank, 157 tooth flywheel, 10.5" clutch, zero balance, clutch cable.

Edited by chillininnh

Don't forget pilot and throw out bearing... The spline count will dictate your choices I found out for a clutch

I run a Lakewood bell housing. When I put the RS600 in ended up going with Centerforce DFX clutch and PP. No issues at all! Great feeling as I also run cable

Had Zoom clutch - Chinese junk.....

Just a thought. Even though an OEM replacement clutch won't work for your situation, but with that kind of HP have you also considered using a 164 tooth flywheel and 11" dia. clutch. Some people are not aware, but the 164 tooth flywheel with 11" dia. clutch was standard size on 351w engines. The 157 tooth flywheel and 10.5" dia. clutch was standard size on 289-302 engines.

I am running everything they tell me won't work. :clown:

A Hawks alum racing flywheel with a McCloud 11in kevlar clutch and 3 finger pp.

Covered by a Lakewood bell and stock clutch linkage setup.

Works great and no slippage or chatter and it allows the C to spin the rpms up with ease.

If your changing everything anyway, I would suggest going to the 11in over the 10.5 clutch.

In the bronco I have an 11" Centerforce Dual Friction. Never have been able to slip it, motor makes 400ish horse and 450ish Ft lbs with BIG tires (lots of rotating inertia to get moving). I've been impressed with it a lot.