Sign in to follow this  
dbennett

manual trans

So in reading alot of info people have pretty much said the TKO-600 over the T-56 even though it is a little bigger than the 4 speed toploader. Anyone have any info about the TR-6060? 6 speed from a 05-09 shelby has a 6th gear of .63, from a challenger it has a 6th of .50 that combined with 3:90 gears and a 428 should be pretty good highway cruising speed right? Any thoughts

Oh yeah, a 50% overdrive with 3.90:1 should give some nice low 65-75 mph cruising rpms. I don't know anything about that trans sorry. Are you running a posi in the rear?

I had at one time owned of the last 2002 Trans Ams with the WS6 package and six speed manual with double over drive. Sixth gear was really too low unless you were cruising over 70mph. Boy was that thing wickedly fast. Bruce

Edited by LindenBruce

I drove a 2011 GT500 to the Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup last June; there and back, four hours each way.

I can tell you the shifter was very notchy, but with short throws between gears. (The owner installed an aftermarket shifter. He said the original was pretty bad.) That particular Shelby has the SVT package with a 3.73 rear gear. And I was able to drive the car in sixth gear on only a few, very brief sections of the trip. As I recall, at 65MPH, the engine was turning just below 2,000 RPM in sixth gear.

Thus, I would think you could install a 4:30 rear gear mated up to a six speed and STILL be able to cruise easily at 75 MPH.

I've also been wondering about using a six speed in a classic Mustang. As I understand it, putting a six speed in my 70 Mach 1 would require some cutting of the trans tunnel. It might also require lowering the engine, but I'm not sure.

I'm sure if you called Modern Driveline they could give you the dirty details. Let us know what you find out!

My whole reasonfor asking is because if I'm thinking about a diffrent tranny now I might as well open up the tunnel while I'm doing the body work so I don't do all the underbody work and then change my mind and install a modern 6 speed. The .50 overdrive is the what challengers had the shelby has a .73 I think. I could run a 4:30 or a 3:90 again I might as well think about it now and get some opinions before I get to far into this thing money wise to do it all over again. From what I have found is the TR-6060 is about equal cost as the TKO-600 some I found slightly cheaper. I can go used and rebuild it if need be or change the gears myself, those tremecs are extremely easy to rebuild and replace gears. Most times just replacing your synchros or dog gears will dramatically improve your shifting depending how much beating you do on your tranny.

just took my girl out tonight wit the Keisler RS-600................... love it! Best upgrade besides the stroker engine :thumbup1:

finished up the tweeks today as the X-mission alignment required to "tune and beat" the headers for the R&P knuckle to stop the binding while turning and the shaker scoop had to be re-aligned....

Best upgrade I ever did... Whether TKO, Tremec, Keisler whatever you will love it!!!!!

Reason I did the Keisler - for the money a bolt it with little or no modifications.... wanted to keep original console and as much aspect of the car as original (minus restomod upgrades not seen)... Came with everything, speedo cable, reverse light harness x-member, Xmission mount, pilot bearing, even came with new driveshaft! had to get the 26 splnie clutch (centerforce DF) which over the POS Zoom I had was another key upgrade!

Edited by MAD IN NC

I currently have a tko with a 3.89 and while the highway cruising is great at 70, first and second are too low and burn up pretty much on demand. I also have a locker rear with 26" tall nitto drag radials with close to 11" footprint. im planning on switching down to a 3.50 gear and see what it does for drivability.

Just something to think about.

MAD IN NC, can you tell me what the first gear ratio is in the RS600? I was going to get the RS500 for my car until I noticed that first gear was a 3:37 ratio. I am running 4:11 rear gears and think that might be too deep. the new RS700 has better ratios available but is $900 more than the RS500 putting the kit right at $3900.

The TR-6060 is basically the second generation of the T-56 (or improved version, if you will). The TR-6060 is what the T-56 Magnum transmissions were based off of. Dimensionally, I think the T-56 and TR-6060 are pretty similar if not the same with exception to the tailshaft. I believe the tailshaft does not use a slip yoke, but rather a flange. The Shelby cars also used a remote shifter, so I'm not sure if a standard T56 shifter can be used once the remote shifter has been removed. Here is a pic:

TR6060_detail.jpg