Sign in to follow this  
Chelby-Ann

Ingnition Key Cylinder

Does anyone know of any tricks to get the old cylinder out of the housing. I bought a new keyed cylinder from Year One and cant figure out how to get the old one out. Looks like two spring clips might be holding it in. Thanks.

Put the key in, turn it to left. Then you will need to insert a small diameter (stiff wire), in the small hole on the front. You will then be able to rotate left a little further. At that point it can be pulled apart.

Put the key in, turn it to left. Then you will need to insert a small diameter (stiff wire), in the small hole on the front. You will then be able to rotate left a little further. At that point it can be pulled apart.

x2 did it a week ago.

I have always used a paper clip as the stiff wire to in the small hole in the front of the ign cyl.

No key = drill

No, no, no. I lost my keys last year and had to replace the cylinder. I don't recall exactly what I did to get it out, but it certainly wasn't using a drill. I still have the old cylinder and eventually I'll find my old keys. I know I removed the whole assembly from the dash but I can't remember the specifics beyond that.

I need to replace my switch as well. I have the key, so I can easily change my lock cylinder to the new one. My new switch is from a salvage car, so it has the key cylinder in it. This puts me kind of in the same situation: how to remove the lock cylinder from the switch without the key. I have them sitting right here on the table in front of me, and I see no way to do it without destroying either the lock cylinder or the switch. I am really not out much to destroy the cylinder, but I would prefer not to.

If you want the cylinder and not the switch, you can use a wheel grinder or hacksaw and make a cut about 1. 7 inches back from the front face. Cut the metal surface all the way around it, do not cut through to the center of the cylinder. With this cut, it should fall apart and you can save your key cylinder.

But if you do not have the key, what good is it to keep the cylinder?

I bought a tilt column to use in my car and of course, it came with no key. I called several locksmiths and they said they could make a key for $20. Cheap enough, but I had no use for the old tilt key cylinder. I asked them how else to get it out and they all recommended drilling it. I drilled mine and don't want to ever have to do that again.

Edited by miketyler

I digested all the replies that everyone had to offer and was successful in removing the cylinder.:thumbup1: I did have to drill it out this morning. Took all of 15 minutes that included gathering up the tools I needed. Below are detailed instructions if you have to drill one out. If you need anything else, let me know.

1. Gather up your tools.

a. Center drill

b. .210 drill bit

c. .250 drill bit

d. scale/caliper

e. screwdriver

f. paperclip/safety pin

g. Drill press

h. drill press vice

i. Safety Glasses

2. How deep do I drill? I measured the depth of the new cylinder(1.300) and marked that off on the housing (red mark) of the cylinder to be drilled.

3. I removed the cover on the face of the cylinder.

4. Mounted and secured the housing in the drill vice and placed that on the drill press.

5. I used the center drill first and slowly drilled the key opening so to give the drill a good surface to start with.

6. Insert the .210 drill bit and measure off the distance to drill and secure the drill bit.

7. Drill slow and steady to depth.

8. I removed the housing from the vice and banged out the metal chips and key tumbler parts.

9. Secure the housing back in the vice, insert the .250 drill bit and measure out the depth and secure the drill bit.

10. Drill slow and steady to depth.

11. Remove cylinder, bang out chips.

12. With the cylinder back in the vice, take screwdriver and turn it counter-clockwise to the ACC position.

13. Insert paperclip/safety pin into the hole to depress the pin.

14. Turn the screwdriver counter-clockwise to the 9 o'clock position and remove the cylinder.

15. Clean out by blowing out with air and clean up the empty housing which is now ready to receive the new keyed cylinder.

This is how I did it and hope these directions find there way to helping out someone in the future.

Good Luck and once again thanks for the suggestions.

Without this forum, I would not have been as successful.

Bill

Its surprisingly soft to drill but all the stress of messing up the housing and cleaning all the chips out made me really consider spending the $20 bucks and getting a key made to remove it cleanly.

I spent some time with mine before I gave in to the drill. I'd be interested to know how to remove the cyl without drilling for future reference.