Sign in to follow this  
kenbrackins

Coil spring installation issue-help!

I did a search on my problem but couldn't find what I was looking for. I have my engine and tranny out of my 69 "s" code and I am freshening up the suspension. I replaced LCA, upper and lower ball joints, most of the steering linkage, coil spring saddle. When I put the spring back into place it is bulging out-so much that I can't bolt in the shock. My new springs seem to be about 3/4" longer than the 43 yo ones I removed. I thought they were just shorter because of the age. Did I install something wrong or is the fact that there is no weight in the car giving me this problem? That coil spring saddle at the bottom was at a stange angle until I started putting the spring pressure on there. The spring just isn't seating right. Any insight sincerely appreciated.

Did you install the coils with the flat coil on top with rubber isolator and the angled coil end against the spring perch's stop?

Even without weight the coils should not bulge out so you cannot get shock installed.

You may have to add a little pressure to get them started, But not alot.

I think the lack of responses may have to do with a lack of understanding at least from my part. But as mach1 rider said it sounds like you may have the spring incorrectly mounted or upside down completely. Something just doesn't add up and a picture says a thousand words.

I just redid my front suspension and when I reinstalled the coil spring it to had a slight bend in it (though i could easily have installed the shock. But i found out that the upper insulator was not completly seated against the shock tower and I had to recompress the shock and reseat the poly insulator uptop. Not sure if this is you problem but sounded similar to mine.

The spring is in correctly as far as top and bottom. I will try and post a pic later today. The end of the bottom of the spring is touching the tab of the spring saddle. When I decompressed the spring, the bottom was actually about 1/4" too far towards the rear. I had to manipulate it with rubber hammer. It is not bent so far that I can't get the shock down to the mounting holes, but enough that the shock touches the spring. I really don't like the way the new saddle was at such an angle before there was any spring tension on it. I think that is making it sit funny. I got Moog on everything else but these weren't readily available so I got them from NPD and I did notice a lack of quality and a sticker that said "made in taiwan"!!

I can't recall off the top of my head so someone correct me if I am wrong but I think you have the saddles in backwards. I think the end of the coil should be toward the ball joint end of the uca since that side of the spring is longer. That should take the arc out of the spring.

Edit:

End of spring does go to the inside of vehicle. I have Global West's springs and upper arms, they recommended reversing the perches for this install.

Edited by Mach427
Be 100% sure before posting

Hey Ken,

It looks to me that those may be the wrong springs. I say that because I don’t think they should be longer than the stock springs and especially after 41 yrs. Measure the height and post. I have 7 coils and you have 9, but my springs are 1" shorter than stock. Be careful because that spring looks very dangerous bowed out.

Have you put the tire on and let it compress as the car rests on the tires? I remember when I replaced my springs I had to bounced up and down on the front of the car for things to straighten out. The Perch was making all kinds of noise as things straightened out. I put the shocks in after the motor went in.

Again, please be very careful as that spring looks mighty dangerous sitting in there like it is. It will mess you or someone (something) up if it flies out.

Jim

Well I guess I have the wrong springs. The new ones have one more coil then the one I took off. No wonder I had such a hard time getting that sucker in there.

On another note: I took the coil spring compressor that you can get at the parts store and instead of adding the pipe to it, I just used it upside down so the threads extended up through the shock mounting hole. It worked fine even though I was compressing an even bigger spring than I needed. Does anyone know why everyone says put the pipe on the end instead of doing it the way I did? (other than of course it is easier to work with it up top-with a ratchet wrench it wasn't that bad)

Well, Just saw this post. If it helps, I have my original springs out right now, and I set them up and measured them. They measure just under 17in (about 16 3/4 in). These are 43yo ones. I'm not sure if I believe these things really "sag" or get shorter over time. They might, but I have yet to see any real evidence of that. Anyway - if yours are longer than 17in, I'd suspect they are wrong.

(NO idea why this thing turns my pics sideways)