Sign in to follow this  
69volunteer

Front Suspension Rebuild

I am redoing the front suspension with all new bushings, upper and lower control arms, springs, etc. My question is the spring saddle on the upper control arm should pivot, correct? I don’t see any where to lube. I didn’t try to apply too much pressure but I want to confirm before I do.

Yes it pivots, but you will not be able to do it by hand. It uses a rubber bushing and pivots only under suspension load. This is why some guys use a bearing spring perch to remove the binding of the rubber bushing.

Jim

Jim is correct.

I’m fresh off the same suspension rebuild process along with new bushings and steering components. As far as the perches, I took the good advice of forum members and used the Opentracker roller perches. Those perches along with all fresh steering parts and an alignment using specs from the forum and the Opentracker site has resulted in a great improvement to the ride and feel of the car. Hope that you experience the same reward for the money and effort. In my case worth every dollar.

Cheers,

Tony

In my case with all new suspension and steering parts it’s hard to differentiate the benefit of just the roller perches. But it stands to reason that eliminating the heavy resistance to free motion inherent in the stock perch design is bound to be a big help. The roller action restores the free motion that needs to be present for optimum steering and suspension response.

The car definitely feels much more nimble and stable. The opinions on whether to stick with stock or upgrade to roller perches were unanimous for the upgrade. And as they say: there is wisdom in the counsel of many. I certainly don’t regret the decision.

Regards,

Tony

I read the article about building your own. I dont have the skill to do that....at least not quickly. Trying to get the car back to the painter by the end of summer (HA).

Sounds like I will be ordering some roller spring perches. Anyone need some stock aftermarket ones?

You can just buy replacement perches for about $25/side. I had the front end on our 71 reworked, and we put those in and it drives great. I have a hard time believing that the friction in that little joint (given that the angle change is probably not more than +/-20deg rotation, and the loads it is under are HUGE - totally swamping the friction loads), is going to make much of any kind of a difference in handling. Obviously, the joint will rotate more freely, but really, now... how big of a deal can that be?

I know that I have a tendency to "need to believe" in something that I spend a lot of money for, and I have to wonder if a daily driver needs the 3.5x cost bogey. In my case I haven't tried the roller perches, so I can't compare. But, I can tell you the cheap replacement perches work just great.

Jay

Gee thanks Jay! I am actually on your side but after reading posts on here and on other sites, I had changed my mind to the roller perches.

I am trying to keep this car on a budget because I know how easily it is to upgrade this, change that, etc. Next thing you know, you have twice as much in the car than its worth.

I will think about it while I'm on vacation next week whether to keep my stock replacements or order roller perches.

It depends on what you want out of the car.

I installed a completely new stock frontend and it drove ok, but ride was harsh.

Added opentrackers roller perches was the only change to it and the driving and ride quality improved greatly.

It depends on what you want out of the car.

I installed a completely new stock frontend and it drove ok, but ride was harsh.

Added opentrackers roller perches was the only change to it and the driving and ride quality improved greatly.

+1, As they say don't knock it till you've tried it. I for one couldn't be paid to go back to stock perches, yes it does make that much of a difference. The roller bearing setup allows the suspension to move freely and do its job. Also make sure you use the updated alignment specs for them new fangled radial tires, but you know I guess them bias-ply tires were good enuf back then.

Will have to let Opentracker reply on the so called hard impact loads on them, As I am not an engineer.

I can only respond to the use and change they make to driving and ride.

The removal of the hard rubber perch allows the springs and shocks to take the bumps and potholes and lessen the shock on the frontend.

The handling on corners improves from the ease of movement also.

Having driven these cars when they were new, I can say the roller perch idea works.

The best improvement Ford made was in 71 when they went to an intergral steering box and dumped the power assist ram setup.

Mach1rider is speaking from the best position here. That's the only person I have heard that replaced only that time and "ride quality improved greatly". So- thats first person from someone who would know.

Everyone's budget is different. I convinced myself that I was ok with the original style given the cost savings, others might figure it out differently. I'm ok with the stock repro stuff, but you gotta be aware I may not know what I am missing! :-)

:taz::taz::taz::scooter: Yep haven't driven enough stock mustangs here to know the difference between the improved quality of the roller perches and a stock setup. I just figured I had the extra money laying around so shoot I'll order the kit build em and install them just for giggles. :shifty::sweatdrop::pinch: Man come to think of it now since I'm not so bright I'll just take them back off and install some original style ones, then I'll get me some bias-ply tires. Shoot that thing will be a great riding car then. :scared::winkiss::1eye:sarcasm off

To the OP, in the end it is your decision, yes I think it's worth every penny. I'm sure if it was useless or a inferior product design that most of the major mustang dealers wouldn't be listing Opentacker's perches in their catalogs. I haven't heard anyone ever installing them that didn't notice a difference or regretted spending the money and installing them.

I would really recommend that you give John or Sherri at opentracker a call and discuss the merits of the perches. They are both an asset to our hobby and will discuss your desires and usage of the car, they won't try and over sale you something you don't need just to make a buck.

http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/

Opentracker Racing Products LLC

P.O. Box 252

Carmel Valley, CA 93924

831-659-0688 Or E-mail us at:

opentracker@sbcglobal.net

Also not sure if you thought about it but now is the perfect time to do the 1" Shelby drop on your upper control arms, yes it is worth the time to do this.

Edited by Grabber70Mach