Sign in to follow this  
mustangindia

MSD Distributor help

Hi from India,

I am restoring a 351W Mach1 here (AFAIK the only one), this is my 3rd 69 after a convertible and a coupe.

The car was in a bad shape (eaten by sea air and rain for years + a blotched restoration attempt), and we have managed to do all the bodywork without any replacement panels. Reassembling the car now, and working on the engine.

I have question regarding the distributor. I picked up a MSD 8582 Pro-Billet (with 6A box) from a guy here in India. Its meant for a 302 (I got it almost free). I have a 351W in my Mach1.

I know that the distributor are different for the engines, but is there anyway I can modify/adapt it to fit my engine? Adapt the shaft to fit the 351, Can the shaft be dismantled?

Thanks

You would have to swap the shaft with one with the correct diameter (larger). I don't know if you can buy just the shaft. It's probably easier to just buy the correct distributor and sell that one.

If you're bent on making something work, you could have a machine shop make a special oil pump drive shaft with one end sized for the 351 oil pump and the other end sized for a 302 distributor. However, this may cost more than just buying the correct distributor (maybe not in India since you would have to pay for shipping and if you can find a decent machine shop the labor might be cheap there).

I would buy the correct distributor.

mustangindia,

Contact MSD tech support. The 351w has a larger diameter shaft so IF it can be done you will likely need more than just the shaft. MSD will sell parts direct to the customer. I have purchased distributor shafts from MSD in the past and they are relatively cheap, $30 US dollars or so. If you end up buying parts from MSD I suggest getting a few extra roll pins for the gear. For some reason the style pin MSD uses are not easy to find.

Don't forget about checking the diameter of the hole in the block compared to the diameter of the body that fits in that hole. You'd have to machine a bushing so that the 302 distributor fits tightly in that hole.