Sign in to follow this  
69volunteer

Strut Rod Bushing Replacement

In the process of replacing my entire front end, I have run into some trouble on the strut rod bushing replacement.

I have the front lock nut off but having trouble with the front adjustment nut--I assume it turns left to loosen like any other nut?

Once I remove, I should be able to slide the strut out from the frame and replace the bushings.

I removed the lower control arm so I am not able to put a lot of torque on the nuts (plus I dont have an open end wrench or socket that size--which adds to the difficulty).

Edited by 69volunteer

I'll borrow/buy the right socket for the outer adjustment nut but I want to make sure I am turning it to the left to loosen. I thought some tie rods and strut rods turning left is to tighten (I think). There is nothing in the service manual that says differently so I am going to assume that it is standard.

I think I will have to reinstall the lower control arm to stabilize it.

I am pretty sure they are standard right hand threads. They are just tight as all hell. Mine took two people- one to hold the rod the other to turn. And it still was half a round at a time. Worked up quite a sweat on these. Be sure to read up about poly bushings on the strut rods (some say they cause strut rods to break) I am not sure, I used poly but I drive my mustang like a grandma since its so original. If I had a restomod/track car I would probably heed the warning(s). If the threads are not here re:strut rod poly bushings check over at Vintage mustang forums. (please forgive me for mentioning another forum here I just can't recall where these threads were)

I had to put the LCA back in to stabilize it. Doesn't have to be in "for good", just something to hold the end of the strut rod. It was all normal threads, but a big old open end wrench like 1in or so, and it was tight. didn't need a cheater on mine.

Once I got the rod out, next puzzle was getting the bushings out. Originals have an inner and and outer sleeve, the inner sleeve is put through the outer, and swelled into place - that was tough to get open.

THEN- there is the big debate about how to put the replacement washers/bushings in. Do a search for that if you don't know what I am talking about...

Considering that Jenwhite and MaryZ have the same IP address and post the same non-content with questionable links in old threads you are both pending temporary or permanent banishment until further clarification.