Sign in to follow this  
Mr.CNC

how many 460 stangs?

0....The 460 wasn't an option. The biggest motor available (for the Mustang) was the 429 and that was only in Boss cars to meet the minimum requirements for NASCAR. Even then the Boss 429 shock towers had to be notched to fit the motor.

Given that your car has a Mustang II suspension they probably deleted the shock towers which would also create the room you'd need for the 460 so no wonder why you are finding issues with getting headers to fit. Your best bet would be to look at the casting numbers on the motor and research to find out what type of vehicle it came out of, more than likely it was a truck. Then look for headers made for that vehicle. At least then you'll know the flange will bolt to the heads. From there you may have to modify the collector to fit the Mustang.

One thing you'll find out with these cars, if you modify one thing it creates a snowball effect with other things.

I have done all the work to the car. I cut the shock towers out and made my own inner fenders. I am now trying some sanderson headers. I'll let you guys know how they work. FPP wants $800 for un-coated ones. thanks for the tip.

:clap:

There are headers made for 429/460 engines in 67-70 Mustangs. Although it's extremely tight, 429/460 wedge motors will fit in a 67-70 Mustang without any engine compartment alterations. A buddy of mine ran a 460 in his 1970 Mach 1 428CJ Q code car with a toploader behind it (car was missing it's original 428). I had a 429 wedge motor to drop in my 70 sportsroof in my avatar picture. But I was 18, living at home and on my parents insurance back then in the mid 80's. My dad took one look at the 429 sitting on the garage floor and said I'd better find my own insurance if I was gonna drop that 429 in my Mustang. I don't know what rates are like now, but there was no way I could afford my own insurance back then. So I ended up building a mild 351C on nitrous and ran faster than that 429 would have! lol

Edited by maxum96

My 69 fastback has a 429/ toploader in it.

I used 71 Mustang 429 mounts, MPG headers with stock big block shock towers and a TCP rack and pinion.

It's pretty tight.

I might even get it on the road this year.

Tim

69 coupe with 460/TKO 600. MPG mounts and headers. I did notch the shock towers for easier maintenance.

Had another 69 coupe before with 460/C6 using Crites Gen 1 and Tubular Auto headers, without notched towers.

I love them big motors. Nothing like abundant torque!