Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

lower radiator hose fit on 70 351c Mach 1

I have bought three so far and they don't fit. They either have a large kink in the radius or they touch the power steering belt or both. This would seem like a no brainer. Car is a 351c with stock fitting radiator, aluminum pump and inlet on the drivers side.

Cutting either of these would help some but doesnt change the large radius thats molded in to the hose. These almost look like they were made for another vehicle. A simple 90* hose with a tight radius would probably do it.

This may sound crazy, but what happens if you revere it end for end?

Looking at Branda & Marti's pages they are shaped a bit different than what you have in your picture.:

marti_ford_hoses.jpg

Edited by jmlay

Have tried both ways and it doesnt seem to make any difference. Just got back from Napa and compared their Gates hose to the one I got from OReillys and its identical.

I am running a Milodon aluminum water pump but I believe the port is on the same side and angle as the stock cast pump.

I started cutting on the better fitting one and improved it some but still had a big kink there in the radius. I removed it, slipped the spring inside and it at least holds that kink open now. Also as a result of cutting it, the hose has moved closer to the power steering pump belt. I now have less than 1/8" clearance there. A larger belt may require higher swing adjustment on the pump and give me more clearance.

I dont get it, the top hose fits beautifully. The angle on the Milodon pump might be a little different than the OEM actually. Regardless, its in the radiator, fan and shroud are in. Getting closer to firing this thing up!

Edited by miketyler

I had a similar issue. I measure the distance from pump to inlet at a 90. Then went to auto parts store and looked threw their inventory. Found one that was close to my measurements with the correct openings. Tried bout an inch off either end. Gives me bout an inch of clearance from the belt. It has a tight bend, causing the hose to be oval vs. Round. That shouldn't cause a volume issue until it kinks. Like taking a cup and squeezing the top.

The universal hoses work great for straighter shots, but wouldn't recommend them for any angle greater then 45.

i just went threw this samething order the concours hose from cj s and be done with it i had problems with hose fit to much bend belts that are hitting the hose so i ordered the hose set no problems perfect fit and dont forget the spring that goes inthe hose concours hose sets done come with that part i geuss ther not 100 % concours

i had the same problem with my 70 351C with the supposed concours correct hoses, the power steering belt ended up rubbing a notch into the lower hose. Since you can only buy them as a set, i didnt want to buy and extra upper hose for the heck of it, so i went to carquest and just got a gates replacement. The gates was longer then the concours one and enabled you to trim it to get the perfect fit. Now i have no kinks or rubbing...go figure