Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

Power antenna solution in 70 Mach 1?

I want to add a power antenna to my 70 Mach 1. It's located in the passenger side front fender. The fender is already drilled for the four screw OEM fixed mast. Is there an electric antenna that is ready to install that looks like the OEM unit?

My fixed unit was broken off and I'd like to find one that looks similar to original. Otherwise was looking for a way to use the OEM base and cover with an off-the-shelf power antenna.

The biggest hurdle I've found is the limited spacer under the fender due to the cowl vents. The electric ones have a bulky motor that goes under the fender. Maybe I'm missing something though, since apparently that Ebay auction got theirs to fit!

This is something I had contemplated during my rebuild, I may still do it someday too but at the time I was going to mount it in the drivers rear like the Shelby's to keep it simple. Since I didn't pull the trigger on that prior to paint if I still do this it would have to go in the stock location now.

If and when the time came I was going to order mine from John's Mustang. http://johnsmustang.com/Parts/details-10514.html

Not sure how much different it is than the one in that ebay ad but it is quite a bit less expensive and comes with a bunch of different adapters to fit the various stock bases so it should be pretty easy to adjust.

I hung the unit in place awhile ago temporarily just to check clearance. It is close but looks like it will work. The leading edge of the door is closest during open and closing operation.

I also need to fit my plastic water shield in there and make sure it doesn't crowd me further. Am now trying to open up hole in the original antenna base so the power antenna tube will slip inside.

Truth is, I actually like the mast better on the rear quarter but the holes are already in the fender for this so I feel obligated.

Edited by miketyler

Got it done. I had to remove the broken fixed antenna from the base. Very easy to do sittting it in a vice and a couple of taps with a hammer.

Once I had the bare base casting, I bored it a little over a 1/2" dia all the way thru. This allowed the motor assembly barrel to screw into it. I also had to saw off about 3/4" off the lower end of the OEM casting. Finally I counterbored the top 3/8" or so deep to allow the top barrel nut to seat properly.

It is close and to service it you will have to remove the fender or the door. The model I used is a Metra AW-PW12. Wish I had taken more pics along the way. If you can find a more compact model this mod would be easier.

$(KGrHqYOKjgE5WuvdTeMBOb+U)(nV!~~60_12.JPG

I don't have one of the underside but here is the top side. I used stainless oval head screws because I didnt want any rust trails after washing. You can see the threaded barrel of the power unit below the surface.

It's the stock one, or at least it's the one that came with my car. However, the front and rear of the cover dont sit proper and leave a gap so maybe its for another car?

Edited by miketyler

Id say most assuredly from another car, the gap on the bottom from the crest should not be there. The stock one is tapered on the bottom and level on the top and has a rubber gasket to fill any gapping.

This is actually common on many cars sice the antennas arrived in the trunks and installed by the dealers. Often they all got thrown in pile and installed later on. My car for example while it had the correct base had a tear drop shaped mast on it which I loved. When it broke and I ordered a correct replacement the mast was round.

Many a point deduction debate has gone on at shows about original owners balking because they know their antenna was original to their car even though it is incorrect.

Edited by Pakrat