miketyler

Question on power mirrors mod

Got them finished and wired. Hard to tell them from originals now. And all told, a lot of trouble for what they are. Getting paint match for the donor pair of mirrors was the biggest pain. The Scott Drake convex mirror I think will work out great when driving.

Mike, one nice thing I found with having the electric mirrors is when backing into a parking slot that is next to a curb is that you can angle the mirror down and see the area next to the rear tire so you don't rub your tires or rims. NIce job.

Thanks! Yes, I had a BMW 328 that the passenger mirror would automatically tilt down when you put it in reverse. It was very handy. I think if I had to do it again I would get smaller servos like yours. Getting them set back far enough in the housing had its challenges.

I made plates out of .040 thick aluminum. I located the holes and was going to tap them for 8-32 but didnt think the material was thick enough so I went ahead and put nutserts in. Yes, I had to drill a hole in the passenger side mirror base as well as the door so I could run the wires thru it.

I just disassembled the passenger side mirror from my 94 GT. The servo inside is MUCH larger than the servo on the driver side. I also checked the spare passenger side mirror from a 2003 Mercury Sable. It was also just a little large.

For my project, it looks like I will just go get a second driver side mirror from the local Pick-N-Pull.

Chuck

I saw the little clip but after unlatching still couldnt get the leads out. I didnt have the other matching plug anyway, figured I would get another type connector.

I did get lucky on that pair but got even luckier when I guy responded to my ad with a drivers side housing and pedestel. The mech and mirror had already been removed so I will probably use that one. Problem is, someone cut a 1/4 slice out of the pedestel apparently to remove the cable assembly.

For anyone trying to disassemble one, I removed the mirror glass and there you can see where each cable is crimped.

I have a second way of disassembling the driver's side mirror. Finally took apart mine last night. In the joystick, there is a spring. I compressed that spring using long nose vicegrips. In the base of the joystick are three cables that slide into separate channels. You need to open the base of those channels (since they appear to pressed together to prevent the cables from slipping out). There is also another channel that holds the sleeve the cable runs through. It also needs to be opened to slide the sleeve and cable out.

Hopefully you see that from the attached pictures.

Chuck

Ya, I managed to get it apart without damaging anything. It can be reassembled, again with no issues.

Mike, a couple of questions about your passenger side mirrors.

The SN95 mirror: Was your mirror assembly glued in? Mine was so glued in that I ended up breaking the glass. The plastic holder is fine. It was held in place with a liberal amount of very sticky rubber cement.

The 69 mirror: How did you make the bracket to hold the servo in place? On mine, there is only one mounting hole and it is angled. There are two holes that mount the mirror housing to the pedestal. I was thinking about using those and the angled mounting location. It certainly isn't as nice as the driver's mirror (two flat mounting holes on opposite sides).

Thanks!

Chuck

The mirror was glued to the plastic frame. The plastic frame snaps on and off. I did separate the passenger convex glass with heat gun and putty knife to see if I could get glass shop to cut it to size but they broke it and I ended up buying the Scott Drake convex mirror for the passenger side.

Yeah, the passenger side mirror was a bit more difficult. Admittedly, it only has one screw holding the back plate in place. I cut the aluminum casting back and cut it paralell to the outside edge. I drilled and tapped it and it installs with a a 10-32 flush screw. The back plate is made from .050 thick aluminum and doesnt move at all.

Thanks for the pictures. I'll look into the Scott Drake mirror. It would make things easier.

My 94's plastic mount was actually glued to the servo. They applied too much glue during initial assembly and it leaked out. A huge mess.

Edited by MustangChuck
(corrected a typo)

Hmmm, sounds like some shade tree work. Once the mirror and plastic frame snapped off its three screws in that funny triangular pattern to remove the servo. Initially I tapped the aluminum plate and put in 6-32 screws but didnt have enough threads in bearing so I went ahead and put in those cad steel nutserts.

Edited by miketyler

My 94's side mirror could have been replaced at some point. The Pick-N-Pull has a 1/3 off sale this weekend for card holders. I will try to get out there, if I can. Thankfully removing the whole mirror assembly takes like 15 minutes. It may take me longer to walk in, find the car and walk out.

Thanks again for all the info! I really appreciate it!

Chuck

Chuck,

How the heck did you get pry the cable joystick housing open to release those cables? Mine were a soft metal (almost lead-like) and using a small screwdriver just made it crack to pieces. Curious how you did yours. The threads where the knob screws into are completely stripped, so I need to remove the cables and put a different joystick housing in.

Mike,

Any pics of the mirror control switch mounted? You guys have me considering doing this mod to my Mach since my control cable if fubar'd.

So is the consensus to get a driver and passenger mirror from an SN95 mustang, or two drivers side ones? Anyone find any smaller passenger mirror servos? Since you'd be putting it in upside down on the passenger side, I assume the servo wires would have to be switch around to account for this?

Chuck,

How the heck did you get pry the cable joystick housing open to release those cables? Mine were a soft metal (almost lead-like) and using a small screwdriver just made it crack to pieces. Curious how you did yours. The threads where the knob screws into are completely stripped, so I need to remove the cables and put a different joystick housing in.

I'm sorry I missed this. Mine is also very lead-like. I pried VERY gently using a small, sharpened screwdriver. Just enough to slip the cables out.

Chuck

Mike,

Any pics of the mirror control switch mounted? You guys have me considering doing this mod to my Mach since my control cable if fubar'd.

So is the consensus to get a driver and passenger mirror from an SN95 mustang, or two drivers side ones? Anyone find any smaller passenger mirror servos? Since you'd be putting it in upside down on the passenger side, I assume the servo wires would have to be switch around to account for this?

I've been toying with this since I am at a standstill on my brake idea (need tools, don't have money).

You shouldn't have to put it in upside down, I don't think. If you were to put it in upside down, the up/down would be wrong. As it is, the left/right would be wrong. You may have to rewire it from the switch. I need to see what the inputs to the servo are.

From the pictures MikeTyler posted, it looks like his passenger's side servo is different than mine (much smaller, very like the driver's side). It is very possible that the 94s had a much larger servo than did later models. It is also possible that my servo had been replaced when the mirror glass was replaced.

Chuck

I looked through all of Mike's posts and didn't see him mention what year mirrors he was using. Hopefully he can let us know when he reads this.

Also Mike, where did you get your connector that plugs into the later model Mustang switch? I assume the SN95 connector on the mirror was different than the later style mustang switch.

It turns out that I did have the wiring already listed in this thread. It seems to indicate that the switch that controlls left/right is just 1 pin. I will need to see if I can reverse the polarity if I use another driver's side servo on the passenger side.

Chuck

My servos were pulled from 94-97 stang and am pretty sure that's where I got the switch. I mounted both servos exactly like they came out of the car and the passenger side operates backwards from the switch. I was too far along to take it apart and flip it over so I left it. Both are very functional. The switch was a good fit in the new door panel and I bought it with the matching plug. Check out ebay seller "switchland". They have some cheap prices and will sell you switch and matching plug for under $20. I'll see if I can post some pics of it installed

Thanks!!! I wonder if the reason why your passenger works opposite of the switch is due to the switch being pinned differently since its from a later model car? Now to find me some servos and a switch :)